• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GVI is it worth to buy?

Share/Bookmark

GVI is it worth to buy?

I have Gigastudio160 running on the same PC with my sequencer and I use P4/3GHz/3GB RAM with Creamware as my audio cards. No complaint, they run pretty stable.
    Just wondering, is it worth to get GigaVI?
    What are the advantages over Giga160?
    Do I have to remove Giga160 prior to installing the GigaVI?

Thanks.

Re: GVI is it worth to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by hangee_77
    I have Gigastudio160 running on the same PC with my sequencer and I use P4/3GHz/3GB RAM with Creamware as my audio cards. No complaint, they run pretty stable.
    Just wondering, is it worth to get GigaVI?
    What are the advantages over Giga160?
    Do I have to remove Giga160 prior to installing the GigaVI?

Thanks.
    One major disadvantage to GVI is that it was announced in Spring and we've yet to see any evidence of its existence.

It should be out any day now. I for one will be first in the queue to buy it. Should integrate very nicely into Pro Tools :-)

Hopefully will be more stable than Gigastudio which is still giving me problems after more than 3 years

Some of the key advantages compared to GS160 are:
    * Supports GigaPulse-embedded gigs
    * Supports iMIDI controls, such as round robin, the dynamic expression filter, and true legato
    * Is a VST, so your settings are saved in your DAW's sequence file.
    * Runs in the app later, so it might support more memory, and might be more compatible with various PCs.
    * A future version is said to be Mac compatible.

Me? I'll upgrade, since it's a nice deal, but I'll primarily use GS3, since it's rock solid for me. Advantages of sticking with GS3 are that I can edit the gigs with it, I can patch things as I choose through GigaPulse Pro, without needing to purchase the separate VST, and the Kernel-level processing gives top performance.

But you never know. I might find GVI so cool that I'll use it for most projects. We'll see...

What I want to know is can you use it on a computer that also has Kontakt on it? If you can then I'll definately get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogles
    What I want to know is can you use it on a computer that also has Kontakt on it? If you can then I'll definately get it.
    I don't see why not...

I heard the biggest advantage, not sure if that has been said before, will be memory usage...you should be able to load much more samples. No more 1 Gb limite.

Has there been any announcement about any side/down/upgrade price for existing GSO owners?
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Quote Originally Posted by David_Carter
    Has there been any announcement about any side/down/upgrade price for existing GSO owners?
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/pricing.html

Upgrade Pricing

The Giga Virtual Instrument (GVI) and Giga Violin will be available in Summer 2006
    [Note: Tascam appears to have a very "loose" definition of the word "Summer"]

$75 -- Registered users of GigaStudio 3 Orchestra to GVI
    $125 -- Registered users of GigaStudio 3 Ensemble to GVI
    $175 -- Registered users of GigaStudio 3 Solo to GVI
    $249 -- Any registered version of GigaSampler or GigaStudio 2.X to GVI

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I don't see why not...

I heard the biggest advantage, not sure if that has been said before, will be memory usage...you should be able to load much more samples. No more 1 Gb limite.

Well apparently Gigastudio 3 and Kontakt either don't work well or not all on the same computer. That's why I asked. Something about conflicting drivers or the registry or something (don't know the details). Hopefully since GVI is a VST and won't be working on a kernal level there won't be an issue. However, it still would be nice to have some confirmation on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflemaster
    [Note: Tascam appears to have a very "loose" definition of the word "Summer"]
    We will see.

Autumn starts on Septermber 23rd, 4:03am GMT this year (the Autumnal Equinox). They've got just under ten days...

Go Back to forum