• Register
  • Help

Topic: China Cymbal as REX-file for Stylus RMX?

Share/Bookmark

China Cymbal as REX-file for Stylus RMX?

Hello everybody,
    for a project I'm looking for a sound like a big evolving China(?)-cymbal (not shure if I got the right name for it). I'm talking about these huge cymbals, that are hit with a big clapper, producing an evolving cymbal sound with long attack and release.
    I would like to load it into RMX as a REX-file. Alternatively it could be any kind of sample convertable to REX or readable in soft samplers like Halion or NI Kontakt. Another possibility would be a file for my Korg Triton synth.

Can anybody help? Thank you.

pirx
    Last edited by pirx; 09-11-2006 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Addition

Re: China Cymbal as REX-file for Stylus RMX?

Are you talking about a china cymbal (which has "trashy" sound common on a drum set) or a gong (sometimes called a tam-tam cymbal)? These are the very large cymbals suspended vertically. For a gong sound, I sometimes just tune any available cymbal sample down and mess a bit with the attack settings. Tim

Thanks for answering. You are right, there is a big difference and I didn't explained it right. I'm actually not looking for a gong, what I need is a cymbal roll on the drums, the thing a drummer produces by rolling the drumsticks on a cymbal rapidly, which results in an intensive rising and slowly ending cymbal sound. Hope this makes it clearer. I've got a patch like that on my old Korg X5D, where it is called 'Cymbal Roll', and the name describes what is going on. Unfortunately it hasn't got the quality I need for my project (you can hear the loops within the sample).

On RMX there are some decent cymbal sounds, but I don't know a method to produce any kind of dense sounding cymbal roll without the sounds of the single hits.

I'm shure there are samples out there, couldn't find it yet. Maybe you know a way to get it using RMX and the tools in the DAW (I've got Cubase SX3). Thank you.

pirx

you cant really mimic the sound of a cymbalroll using samples of a cymbalhit.
    There are quite a bunch of good sounding rolls in the Vienna Opus lib but thats probably an overkill for just that one sound.
    Another candidate to look at would probably be the SAM True Strike percussion lib.
    http://www.projectsam.com/onlinestor...products_id=57

But you have to make sure it contains any Cymbal rolls.
    I bet it does but unfortunately theres no detailed info on their website.

Hans

Have you tried reversing the cymbal sample followed by a soft cymbal crash. I have been doing some similar swells in my project lately. I finally just got tired of trying to program the sound and instead created my own the old-fashoined way. Tim

Thanks for hints and tips. First I will try Tim's reverse method or a long attack, that experimental way could work for me. But most likely I'll end up with a sample CD, which I tried to avoid. The Vienna Opus is a high quality overkill, Hans, you are right. I wonder if there is a source to get single samples without buying a whole bunch of stuff I'll never use... pirx

Hi. The cheapest and most fun way is simple.If you have a friend who is a drummer have him come over with his cymbals and sample them.Here is a fun one. Take two maracas and put 2-3 thick socks around each one and roll away on different size cymbals.Check out pawn shops for cheapo cymbals and have a blast.If I find any free ones out there I'll post them. JON

Also in the sound menu in RMX ther are some great sounds for sells. Check cinematic and of course the obvious "cymbals. You can lessen the harsh strike by editing the sample start.Just a thought. JON

Sorry,, really need a new keyboard after my 3yr. old nephew knocked a soda into this one. sell is pronounced swell..JON

Looking around a bit on the web I found this:

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/FreeSamplesPage.asp

I downloaded the 'Cymbal Rolls' for free, but didn't install it yet. Ich will check it out today.

I have no drummer at hand, also no cymbals, so cannot sample it myself.
    The RMX cymbals may be a way to go, they are exelent in my ears. But it'll be tricky to get this special swelling sound of a real cymbal roll.

pirx

Go Back to forum