• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: the best way

Share/Bookmark

the best way

Hi,i own a demo of notion.
    At first glance it sound very well and i am planning to buy it.
    Just a couple of question:
    I am a bit confusing with erase- insert articulations ,dynamics,measure etc.
    For example inserting a pp,but later i need to delete it.The best way i have found is selecting the note with dynamic and delete all.And delete only dynamics?
    What is the best way to work with notion?

When inserting a unison for, lets say,two oboe,i get a two oboes sampling or the same sample played twice?
    Thank you

Re: the best way

Hi,i own a demo of notion.
    At first glance it sound very well and i am planning to buy it.
    Sweet.

Just a couple of question:
    I am a bit confusing with erase- insert articulations ,dynamics,measure etc.
    For example inserting a pp,but later i need to delete it.The best way i have found is selecting the note with dynamic and delete all.And delete only dynamics?
    There are several ways to delete something. First, use the menu or a keyboard shortcut to change your cursor into the dynamic you want to erase. So, if you want to erase a "pp" dynamic, press the P key three times to get a "pp" cursor. Move the cursor over the dynamic you want to get rid of, then press "Delete", and it will magically (and by "magically", I mean "utilizing thousands of lines of code") disappear.

Another way is by using the "Backspace" key. Simply move your cursor slightly to the right of the item you want to delete, and press "Backspace". Your cursor will turn into a backwards-facing arrow of sorts and you can continue press "Backspace" to erase the unwanted items.

Let's say you want to delete articulations, but not just one, many at once. Press "Esc" to bring up your arrow cursor. Select the measures or lines containing the notes from which you want to remove articulations, right-click and select "Clear Special". In the dialog box, check "Articulations" and press OK. And like magic (see above definition), they're gone. You can use this menu to delete tempo markings, dynamics, slurs, and other markings as well.

When inserting a unison for, lets say,two oboe,i get a two oboes sampling or the same sample played twice?
    You are hearing two instances of the same sample, but they're not technically in unison because they won't start at exactly the same time. If you really want each to sound unique, try different articulations or dynamics on each oboe.

Thank you
    No sweat.

Amazing .
    I have just tried it out,is very simple edit in this way.

A little lie about "only two questions".Just another couple :

1)how hide some unwanted articulations.
    2)writing for trasposing instruments(especially horns) is boring task.
    It is possible convert staffs for trasposing instruments in non trasposing instruments and viceversa(i hope you understand my awful english).
    3)time to get the full version

Thank you very much

1)how hide some unwanted articulations.
    We don't have a feature for Show/Hide articulations, only entire staves.

2)writing for trasposing instruments(especially horns) is boring task.
    It is possible convert staffs for trasposing instruments in non trasposing instruments and viceversa
    You can change the staff for a transposing instrument to write in C under
    File->Score Setup. Highlight an added instrument, then click Properties, and change Instrument Key to "In C". You'll have lots of other options there as well.

3) time to get the new version
    Are you located overseas? In the States, you'd have it between 3-7 business days, unless you call in and pay extra for faster shipping. If you're not in the continental U.S., tell me where and I'll do my best to get an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by dkala
    Yes i live in Italy.
    Your best bet would be to buy from our European reseller, MI7. They would get it to you much faster than we would from the States.

Talking Re: the best way

I would like to see a global C score transposition option as well.

Notion is pretty awesome--but I find the entire system for entering tuplets dicey at best. Although Notion can handle complex polyrhythms handily, oftentimes the score editor tells me mathematically that some tuplets are outside of the time signature(red) when I know they are not. If Notion is going to crash-more often than not it's due to tuplets. Sometimes Notion will do decidedly odd things with tuplets. I am taking about complex polyrhythms--sticking a triplet in is fine.

Another bug-a-boo are the view options. I cannot see an entire score on my 21 inch monitor. No matter if I tilt my monitor, try to reduce the view etc. Once I get past perhaps 10 staves or see--I need to scroll. Working with large orchestral scores(30+ staves) is even worse, as one needs to scroll to the left of the score area to see which instrument is playing on that staff. It's kind of annoying! With recent updates, I can no longer full screen or in some cases reduce the view to less than 75%.

What about colour coding the staves or at least colour coding the families of instruments? That could help. I don't believe there is currently a 'hover' feature for staves as well. It would be handy to be able to hover over a staff and have a little pop up tell you it's the 3rd French Horn staff.

Just some ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by John2
    I would like to see a global C score transposition option as well.

Notion is pretty awesome--but I find the entire system for entering tuplets dicey at best. Although Notion can handle complex polyrhythms handily, oftentimes the score editor tells me mathematically that some tuplets are outside of the time signature(red) when I know they are not. If Notion is going to crash-more often than not it's due to tuplets. Sometimes Notion will do decidedly odd things with tuplets. I am taking about complex polyrhythms--sticking a triplet in is fine.

Another bug-a-boo are the view options. I cannot see an entire score on my 21 inch monitor. No matter if I tilt my monitor, try to reduce the view etc. Once I get past perhaps 10 staves or see--I need to scroll. Working with large orchestral scores(30+ staves) is even worse, as one needs to scroll to the left of the score area to see which instrument is playing on that staff. It's kind of annoying! With recent updates, I can no longer full screen or in some cases reduce the view to less than 75%.

What about colour coding the staves or at least colour coding the families of instruments? That could help. I don't believe there is currently a 'hover' feature for staves as well. It would be handy to be able to hover over a staff and have a little pop up tell you it's the 3rd French Horn staff.

Just some ideas!
    I'm letting our developers read these as feature requests. If there are any temporary solutions that we can figure out I will be sure to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by John2
    I don't believe there is currently a 'hover' feature for staves as well. It would be handy to be able to hover over a staff and have a little pop up tell you it's the 3rd French Horn staff.

Just some ideas!
    If you point your cursor over a staff, the staff name will appear on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. It's rather discreet so it took me a while to notice it.

Awesome... I have never noticed that! This will help a lot with scrolling. It's not perfect--I am using 3 viola sections in a piece and the hover just says viola section instead of viola section 1 and so on. Still, this is helpful. Thanks!

Go Back to forum