• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Advice. Which DAW works best with Giga?

Share/Bookmark

Need Advice. Which DAW works best with Giga?

I'm having a hell of a time getting Cubase/Rewire to drive GigaStudio3.12

Wondering what the advanced users in here use as a DAW to drive GS3?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Advice. Which DAW works best with Giga?

Brete,

There are some video's concerning Giga 3 over @
    http://www.learngigastudio.com/

There is also a new forum that might be worth posting at.

Hope that helps!
    conga

HI,
    if you want to use Giga to its best ability rewire is the worst way, a seperate computer for Giga only is really the only way.
    Giga does not play well with others!

GVI should improve this issue.

Scott
    ADK

Thanks to both of you!

Scott, how might I then incoporate hardware synths and other VSTi's in the same production?

HI,
    there are several ways

1) FX Gigaport which is midi/audio over lan (network) while many of my customers have been successful with it i dont recommend it for the light hearted or technically challenged.

2) there are other programs that do basically the same thing with varied degree of success as well

3) my prefered way would be to have an audio interface in both computers
    cubase on your better daw (however this could be argued)
    and Giga on your older computer
    Giga then shows as a VST in Cubase basically.

this in my opinion is the ONLY way Giga works worth a hoot. and works well!

guys who do orchestration for a living do it this way, generally with 2-6 giga\EW boxes.
    there are of course other programs as well.

Scott
    ADK

I sort of agree with Scott, except to say that Giga Teleport (or GVA+FXT ) is a very good way to run Giga remotely. Although I now understand more about it than I used to, when I started I knew nothing, but still had no problems. Get someone to set it up for you if you can't get the demos to work.

Basically you get all the advantages of running Giga without having to use extra MIDI cables/interfaces and soundcards. In fact as I use Remote Desktop I don't even have mice, monitors or keyboards on my slave PCs and they are in another room, which saves on the air con bill in my studio.

D

Thanks!
    I installed the GVA demo. Set it up per the instructions, but now I'm getting no sound at all. However, other VSTIs are working properly. And previously, I got sound with rewire, it's just that notes were being skipped and note off messages missed during MIDI playback.
    But now, no sound at all.
    Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcschild
    HI,
    if you want to use Giga to its best ability rewire is the worst way, a seperate computer for Giga only is really the only way.
    Giga does not play well with others!
    While "Giga does not play well with others" is a reasonable statement, you should not believe for a second that using "a seperate computer for Giga only is really the only way."

There are plenty of people (myself included) who use Giga on the same machine as Cubase (or whichever other application they prefer), working through rewire... many of whom suffer through few or none of the problems that receive so much fanfare here...

Does it really surprise anyone that the vast majority of the folks who have no problems with Giga are spending more of their time making music, and less of their time griping on message boards???

But back to the "separate computer" issue:

If you search the NSS (and VSL) archives, you will find a comforting number of statements from people who have all kinds of stuff on their Giga machines and run Giga without problems...

As a practical matter, Giga does prefer to have its own computer. That does not mean that it won't work for those of us for whom a dedicated Giga computer is not in the financial cards. If you can't do it, you can't do it. Okay... so what do you do?

A compromise alternative to two computers is putting a second bootable hard drive in your one computer.

If you boot into your "regular" drive, you would have access to the Internet, your firewall, your antivirus software, your printer, and every other program imaginable. If, instead, you boot into your "giga" hard drive, you can have a bare-bones Windows install, no networking, lots of Windows services disabled, and nothing other than Giga and your sequencer program (Cubase, etc.).

It's all about having options...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I sort of agree with Scott, except to say that Giga Teleport (or GVA+FXT ) is a very good way to run Giga remotely. Although I now understand more about it than I used to, when I started I knew nothing, but still had no problems. Get someone to set it up for you if you can't get the demos to work.

Basically you get all the advantages of running Giga without having to use extra MIDI cables/interfaces and soundcards. In fact as I use Remote Desktop I don't even have mice, monitors or keyboards on my slave PCs and they are in another room, which saves on the air con bill in my studio.

D
    What's your DAW Daryl?

I tried for ages to get the FX-Teleport and Giga-VST adapter combo working between Giga and Sonar, and it was a total PITA. Masses of stuck notes (a common problem I understand), and loopy wierd MIDI problems. For example while MIDI note-on (but not always note-off!) information got through fine, none of my program chang messages got through to the Giga machine.

Max tried to help but I ended up jacking it in and going back to a combination of MIDIoverLAN for the MIDI side, and hardware soundcards with multichannel TDIF interfaces for the audio. Works flawlessly for me.

I have to add that FX-Teleport itself works fine for me using other apps, so I'm sure the problem is the GVA.

I also found that the latency I could achieve using the FX-Max stuff was OK but not great. Maybe I would have gotten it down a bit if I'd stuck with it through the troubleshooting. And something about it all just felt fragile to me - something about the little time lag while the DAW PC queries the network and connects with the servers for each LAN plugin. It just didn't give me the sense of worry-free solidity that my hardware based system does, and I tend to agree with Scott that if the budget is not a problem, hardware has definite advantages.

Part of me really wishes it had worked out - the unlimited track count and general flexibility is very appealing, in theory. But things have gotta work.

I use Nuendo. I think that the problem lies with some sort of incompatibility between FXT and Sonar as I've heard of other Sonar users having problems.

D

Go Back to forum