• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Girl, Interrupted

Share/Bookmark

OT: Girl, Interrupted

I just saw this film last night, and just have to say how much I loved the soundtrack. Most of it was very average 'brooding' underscore type stuff, but there were a few passages that mixed Gamelan instruments, in their original tuning, with strings in equal temperament. It was just a fantastic effect, and pretty much the only reason I carried on watching a very mediocre film which I had been about to give up on.

Re: OT: Girl, Interrupted

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I just saw this film last night, and just have to say how much I loved the soundtrack. Most of it was very average 'brooding' underscore type stuff, but there were a few passages that mixed Gamelan instruments, in their original tuning, with strings in equal temperament. It was just a fantastic effect, and pretty much the only reason I carried on watching a very mediocre film which I had been about to give up on.
    Yes, Girl Interrupted is another beautiful gem from Mychael Danna - who I think is the most underrated and most unique composer working today. It actually isn't the Gamelan he used though. It is the a glass orchestra. A four piece ensemble made up of glass flutes, a glass harmonica, glass mallet-type instrument and rubbed glass.

He uses the gamelan in another of his films though - the excellent score for The Ice Storm and also briefly in his score for Antwone Fisher. Check them out - the Ice Storm is especially beautiful (though the soundtrack only features two cuts of his score - stupid album producers ).

Re: OT: Girl, Interrupted

Well blow me down, I was completely fooled. Thanks for that jpjohn - I'll definitely have to hunt down some more of Danna's films.

Go Back to forum