• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Children sing Mozart with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Children sing Mozart with GPO

Hi,

I engage in a school project where kids are playing and singing excerpts of Mozart's "Magic Flute". I was asked if I could do some additional orchestra tracks and I happily do.

I found that rendering sounds that should fit into a live performance demand some extra thoughts:

1. The rendering should be very dry because the sounds will be played through speakers and then be reverbed through the actual room. If the rendering would be "pleasing" from the start then it would come out muddy and not very helpful for the people that want to sing along with it.

2. Therefore the rendering itself has to be done quite carefully. No room to hide anything

3. The instruments should be ordered spatially, but how should that be done without reverb? I used a combination of delays, EQ's and early reflections for this.

4. Since school kids sing this, it has to be transposed, fast pieces slower, slow pieces faster than normal, and rhythmically relatively straight forward.

Here you hear the aria "Dies Bildnis ist bezaubernd schoen". This is the first rendering I entirely played in with keyboard ... every voice in realtime, and with HEAVY modwheeling, so it is not perfect - but lively, hehe . First you hear the dry orchestra only, and then, for fun, a wet version with a solo flute.

EDIT: If you feel like you can happily sing along with it It's fun!!!

http://www.esnips.com/doc/cfed9ce9-0...s_Bildnis4.mp3

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: Children sing Mozart with GPO

Hello Hannes -

This is wonderful! I'm a tenor who is just starting to tackle this piece. Now I can sing the first few verses with an orchestral backup! .

I'd love to hear this with the children singing. You don't have a recording of that, do you?

This was a lot of fun to listen to. Very well realized. I have a tough time playing and using the mod wheel at the same time. I "paint" my controllers in with a Wacom tablet later, after I've plunked a piece in. That you were able to give it this much expression whilst playing....BRAVO!

Thanks again for posting this.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Michael,

if you are a "real" singer then this probably is way too fast. I have not record of the children but maybe at the end of the month.

I use a pen tablet (since yesterday) to make corrections, and it is *much* better than drawing cc lines with the mouse. Nevertheless I try to improve my modwheel playing, because it is really fun. I mean, this is really like playing music!

I had to rehearse every voice between 30 and 60 minutes until it sounded halfway "right" but I hope there is a learning curve.

If you want, I send you a singalong arrangement in slower tempo with adjusted pitch (just not this week, hehe).

Hannes

Great start Hannes. It's nice to have the orchestration so the kids can hear it and not just a piano reduction.

Like you Michael, I've sung this many times. As a matter of fact, I'm performing the role with the Orlando Opera. We do a shortened version of this opera for the kids in schools across the state of FL and I'm both Tamino and Monostatos. Tamino is fine, but I love being Monostatos. He is soooo evil!

Hannes, I'm interested in how your project turns out. I plan on using GPO to orchestra a full set of arias for a recording project.

Love to hear something Michael. Do you work with GPO also?

This forum is great!
    Earl Green

Hannes,

This is a really neat project. Just like my elemtary and jr. high works for band. they are so much fun to work with the kids. You must tell it how the music worked with the children.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Earl,

great to hear that! Yes, this forum is WOW!

Gary,

the first concert will be end of september, so we will see ...

Here is another snippet ... when do you ever use THE Glockenspiel?

http://www.esnips.com/doc/d7d9ed68-1...edchen_mp3.mp3

... and one more: Pa .. Pa .. Pa .. Pa ...

I am really happy that these renderings sound so lively. I have not yet found a good method to make the ensemble play better, but at least they breathe - or not?

http://www.esnips.com/doc/3652dcce-6...t_Pa_Pa_Pa.mp3

Hannes

Nice work! I of course love The Magic Flute, and I admit it was a bit strange hearing the melodies go slower... I wanted them to speed up! But of course fast singing would make the children slur all the words together into nonsense. And the dryness is a good idea too. I once went to a ballet in which the music was prerecorded (which is just wrong!) and it was horribly muddy. Poor Rimsky-Korsakov's music! However, you did a fine job with this, I hope the children enjoy singing the fine melodies!

By the way, I use the glockenspiel often, it can really brighten melody without the listener realizing exactly why. Of, Mozart used it quite differently than I do.

And let's of course remember that the glockenspiel was really the last instrument Mozart ever played...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hannes -

If you have the time, I would love a slowed-down version. I am a "real" singer...but I do not have a very strong classical background. I've been studying voice for over 10 years, however, I have only sung a handful of opera pieces. I mainly sing Broadway tunes however I am a high tenor and my voice teacher has been trying to get me to sing more opera for years (since most Broadway tunes are written a bit too low for my voice while my voice range fits opera very nicely). I'm finally giving in . I am currently working on Dies Bildnis and La Fleur (from Carmen).

I do work with GPO. Mainly I have used it to orchestrate or augment pieces I have written for theatre. I've done a lot of sound design and composing for a local theatre company I'm a part of here in NYC, Genesis Repertory Ensemble.

I never fully explored GPO and I am currently writing a short cello quintet to help improve my skill with the controllers and expression. I'll post that shortly because I can use some feedback .

As I come to grips with German and French, if no one minds, I will post myself singing snippets or all of the pieces listed above.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

That sounds great Michael. I'd love to hear what you're doing. I love singing in French. German is still not my best.

Hannes, I'll have more time to listen after next week.
    Earl Green

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast