• Register
  • Help

Topic: what are the best libraries for a wind controller

Share/Bookmark

what are the best libraries for a wind controller

I own a yamaha wx11 and I know a lot of you use wind controllers and have read a lot of post in the past. I just wonder what libraries have been found to be wind controller friendly. I am naturally interested in brass libraries.I would love to have a great solo violin. Ive heard the GPO library is good with a wind controller and wondered about the new solo violin they have. Also I would love to do string lines so Ive considered east west vsl ect. anything that anyone has found compatable with the wind controllers and any new tips on setting them up for use with the wind controller thank Jeff

Re: what are the best libraries for a wind controller

I use a Yamaha VL1 with my EWI exclusively. No samples or nuffin - the VL1 is just too good with an EWI.

However, Glen Darcey (product mgr of the new EWI 4000S) has posted some Kontakt patches that I need to check out. Maybe I'll change my mind.

You can't overlap notes (unless you use the note-holding function on the new EWI), but you should be able to adjust the space between notes that determines whether separate or legato notes are triggered on the receiving device. The old VSL Performance Tool lets you do that, for example.

Also, there's a difference between tonguing a new note and playing it in the same breath. I'm not sure how the receiving device knows the difference, but it does. Also, the VL1 has a rate of cc change control.

Where did Glen post these Kontakt patches?
    i would be really interested in those.

thanks
    Bart

I use a Yamaha BC3 breath controller together with a MIDI-Solution Breath Controller and a ZTAR MIDI guitar.
    Works great together with Vienna Instrument!

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h View Post
    ...what libraries have been found to be wind controller friendly.
    I just got an Akai EWI USB wind controller and The Trumpet and The Trombone libraries from Sample Modeling. They seem to be a perfect match. I'm even able to get a real vibrato intuitively, which was a very pleasant surprise. This combo made it very clear to me that it's not just a matter of getting a good-sounding sample, but to be able to >control< it to get a realistic sound. I did some noodling for a couple friends yesterday using the Akai with The Trumpet, and they were amazed at how good it sounded (and I'm still fumbling with the hardware). And, one friend was particularly impressed with the realistic sounding vibrato ... because it >is< a real (not pre-recorded) vibrato.

Now, if I could just figure out how to assign CC#2 (wind controller) to CC#11 for my East West libraries, that would cover the other orchestral instruments fairly nicely, until Sample Modeling comes out with more packages. For brass (and saxophone), I'd say go with Sample Modeling's libraries. The GPO library that comes with the Akai is very responsive; but, the sound just is not as rich as the libraries from Sample Modeling.

Go Back to forum