• Register
  • Help

Topic: Nintendo DS - Conversion from XM to DS

Share/Bookmark

Nintendo DS - Conversion from XM to DS

Hi there!

Great forum here! I often drop by to read, anf now it's time to post an topic myself. Would be great if you can help me!

I was asked to do a technical demo track for a Nintendo DS project by the end of the week (tight deadline), this means: creating a Fasttracker XM track (Impulsetracker IT format is also possible, I heard?) and to directly convert it to DS format so that it is instantly usable for the programming team to use and test it as ingame music (there's no money for that particular track.)

The problem is not to track the music in a tracker program like Fasttracker or Impulsetracker, it's a technical problem I'm faced with.

My question now is: How is the finished tracker music converted to special DS format? Is there a converter for this or some other docs / information how it is done? To have a finished XM track is not enough in this case, they want it to directly use it in their game.

How many channels am I allowed to use? How big can the samples / the XM be? I heard something about a 400 KB limit, either per song or for all songs together.

Thanks a million for any help, highly appreciated! I need to know asap as the deadline is by the end of the week.

Looking forward to receiving replies in this matter. Maybe it's better to discuss this further by PM - because it's possible that this is confidential information.

Best Regards,
    Rapture

Re: Nintendo DS - Conversion from XM to DS

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture78
    My question now is: How is the finished tracker music converted to special DS format? Is there a converter for this or some other docs / information how it is done? To have a finished XM track is not enough in this case, they want it to directly use it in their game.
    The main question is: what they support ?
    I did various xm tracks for NDS but all of them were played on the audio-system made by the developer under my direction (too)

Personally I don't know any converters from Xm to DS specified format.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture78
    How many channels am I allowed to use? How big can the samples / the XM be? I heard something about a 400 KB limit, either per song or for all songs together.
    How many channels can be mixed at a time depends strongly on the other factors like how cpu-hungry are other things like animations, logic and all that stuff.

about the memory: depends how much memory is left in RAM after all the graphics and code is loaded. I was told to do various songs... from 100KB to 800KB

Thanks luk, for your quick answer luk, this helps a bit.
    Would still need to know how I get my xms to DS internal formats to present the music... we'll see.

Best,
    Rapture

Sorry haven't been on here for a while.

Your XM/IT format will either have to be supported by the audio replayer that your developer is using. There is no way to convert XM to the Nintendo audio engine format easily. Besides, you'd either need Nintendo Tools from the developer or you'd have to be a registered developer with Nintendo to get those tools.

So I'd be guessing that if they really wanted XM they are most likely using a ported GBA player for NDS.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

Go Back to forum