• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spain Lite!

Share/Bookmark

Spain Lite!

Now that a relaxing, forum-filled summer has ended, I haven't been able to post at all nor listen much to the great music here -- and I miss CHAT!! I'm in the thick of assisting with marching band at the high school, which is tremendously time and energy consuming. I do love teaching, though.

This is a quick transition number -- Chick Corea's Spain -- that I just finished arranging for the band's field show this year. It features a soprano/2 altos/tenor/bari 5-piece sax section at the sideline.

This is all GPO and JABB winds and percussion with the exception of the samba groove from Latigo. I'm sure I'll be doing much more of this with the much-anticipated Garritan Concert/Marching Band Library!

Spain Lite: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/SpainMB.mp3

Re: Spain Lite!

Danny,

Hey, very very cool arrangement and rending of Spain Lite. Shame it is so short Your maching band must have lots of fun performing with you.

I too am anxiously awaiting the new Band library to try out on my band music

Gary

www.garybricault.com

OK, where's the rest of it?

Nice writing, Mr. Danny. Do you have high school kids who can play intricate patterns like these? Wow! Musicianship has improved through the decades.

Post more of your work when you can.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Danny,

Hey, very very cool arrangement and rending of Spain Lite. Shame it is so short Your maching band must have lots of fun performing with you.

I too am anxiously awaiting the new Band library to try out on my band music

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks very much, Gary. This is just a transition piece between the three full-blown numbers, hence the shortness. There's a good chance I'll be writing the entire show next year (!), so the Band Library will get an extensive workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    OK, where's the rest of it?

Nice writing, Mr. Danny. Do you have high school kids who can play intricate patterns like these? Wow! Musicianship has improved through the decades.

Post more of your work when you can.

Larry
    We do have some pretty decent players in the band, but believe me, we do have some work ahead, especially with the sax featured players -- they'll definitely get it, though. They're great kids!

Thanks for your nice comments, Larry... and hope you're doing well.

Danny

I'm about to start calling you "Never Miss" Dan... lol.

Strong arranging on this, Danny... love the brass licks.
    Nor do I think a decent HS band would have trouble
    handling this... it's rhythmically clean and sharp, well
    defined -- they can count this... and that's half the
    game with this kind of material, I think.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice one Danny.
    Swinging.
    Wouldnt hurt to take it 30 bpm faster though.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Nice one Danny.
    Swinging.
    Wouldnt hurt to take it 30 bpm faster though.

regards Joe
    Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for the kind comments. You're absolutely right about the speed; I'd love to take it around the Al Jarreau version tempo, but the kids can't quite handle it. (Maybe I'll feak 'em out one day and count it off that fast!).

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I'm about to start calling you "Never Miss" Dan... lol.

Strong arranging on this, Danny... love the brass licks.
    Nor do I think a decent HS band would have trouble
    handling this... it's rhythmically clean and sharp, well
    defined -- they can count this... and that's half the
    game with this kind of material, I think.
    Thanks, as always, David. We haven't had a rehearsal yet on this, but I've heard the sax players doing some initial fumbling through their parts on their own; they're going to be fine! Hope all is well with you... it's been a while!

Danny

Go Back to forum