• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and windows 2000

Share/Bookmark

GPO and windows 2000

First post here (so be gentle with me LOL)

I have discovered (slow I know) the joys of GPO and was going to purchase it until I discovered that it runs on Windows XP.

I have emailed Garritan and they said that it was to do with midi and windows 2000 and there there were some work arounds.

I will be using FL studio Windows 2000. Anyone using GPO in Fl studio, anyone using GPO on windows 2000 and anyone know how the workarounds work and where I can find the details for it.

I want to check first that I have got the right knowhow before I buy.

A prompt reply would be great as I want to purchase it today.

Cheers (in advance)

Cosy Pete

Re: GPO and windows 2000

Hi Cosy Pete,

It should work on Windows 2000. And you may not have any problems if you have a simple MIDI setup.

It seems that the more complex a system gets, sometimes more problems are experienced. When you have many MIDI devices in your system; they all compete for a limited number of available devices in Windows 2000.

Although Microsft is aware of the problem with Win 2000 http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...esign_2u5j.asp, we have run across similar problems with some users on XP systems. MaestroTools programmer Jeff Hurchalla discovered this a while ago. RME and Edirol independently confirmed the device limitation problem in Windows NT/XP/2000 as well (see below), but I\'ll do some more checking with some folks at Microsoft.

For details and solutions fixing the problem, RME has some useful information (with nice screenshots) at:
    http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/10entrye.htm

Also, David Phillips, Technical Lead at Edirol North America offers some helpful suggestions:

Quote:
    Originally written by David Phillips:
    Problem Description: USB drivers installed correctly but cannot see audio or MIDI ports in recording software. The problem is caused by a 10 driver limitation in Windows XP/2000.

Solution: Click on \"Start\" and choose \"Run,\" then type in \"cmd\" as the command line. Click \"OK\" and a DOS prompt will open. Type the following commands one line at a time, hitting enter after each:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

The Device Manager will open up, so click on the View menu and choose \"Show Hidden Devices.\"

Look through the device manager carefully and note that there are a lot of drivers with a kind of translucent colored icon next to them. These are what we call \"ghosting\" or otherwise nonpresent drivers your system is remembering in case you were to ever add the device back. They can also be drivers that do system functions and are hidden by default, or partially installed or corrupted driver install attempts, all sorts of things really.
    Look under these categories in particular:

+Human Interface Devices
    +Other Devices
    +Sound, video and game controllers
    +Universal serial bus controllers

Obviously you would want to uninstall any driver that shouldn\'t be there, but pay particular attention to things like these:

USB Composite Device
    Composite USB Device
    USB Audio Device
    USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device
    Unknown Device
    *Edirol or other specific drivers you are having problems installing.

Delete these or any driver duplicates and then restart your computer. After you have completed these instructions your Edirol driver should be reinstalled to complete the procedure. MIDI and audio ports will now be visible in your software.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO and windows 2000

Hi Cosy Pete,

It should work on Windows 2000. And you may not have any problems if you have a simple MIDI setup.

It seems that the more complex a system gets, sometimes more problems are experienced. When you have many MIDI devices in your system; they all compete for a limited number of available devices in Windows 2000.

Although Microsft is aware of the problem with Win 2000, we have run across similar problems with some users on XP systems. MaestroTools programmer Jeff Hurchalla discovered this a while ago. RME and Edirol independently confirmed the device limitation problem in Windows NT/XP/2000 as well (see below), but I\'ll do some more checking with some folks at Microsoft.

Also, David Phillips, Technical Lead at Edirol North America offers some helpful suggestions:

Quote:

Problem Description: USB drivers installed correctly but cannot see audio or MIDI ports in recording software. The problem is caused by a 10 driver limitation in Windows XP/2000.

Solution: Click on \"Start\" and choose \"Run,\" then type in \"cmd\" as the command line. Click \"OK\" and a DOS prompt will open. Type the following commands one line at a time, hitting enter after each:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

The Device Manager will open up, so click on the View menu and choose \"Show Hidden Devices.\"

Look through the device manager carefully and note that there are a lot of drivers with a kind of translucent colored icon next to them. These are what we call \"ghosting\" or otherwise nonpresent drivers your system is remembering in case you were to ever add the device back. They can also be drivers that do system functions and are hidden by default, or partially installed or corrupted driver install attempts, all sorts of things really.
    Look under these categories in particular:

+Human Interface Devices
    +Other Devices
    +Sound, video and game controllers
    +Universal serial bus controllers

Obviously you would want to uninstall any driver that shouldn\'t be there, but pay particular attention to things like these:

USB Composite Device
    Composite USB Device
    USB Audio Device
    USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device
    Unknown Device
    *Edirol or other specific drivers you are having problems installing.

Delete these or any driver duplicates and then restart your computer. After you have completed these instructions your Edirol driver should be reinstalled to complete the procedure. MIDI and audio ports will now be visible in your software.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum