• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for musical saw (bowed saw) samples?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for musical saw (bowed saw) samples?

Hey folks,
    I've been searching high and low for a good emulation of a musical or bowed saw to use in some demos. (The finals will be a real player).
    I'm not too savvy with, nor do I have the time for programming, so I'm looking for a decent sample set that I could put in K2, EXS24, or other format that I can convert and import, or a good synth patch for any of Logic's synths or Camel 5000. Anyone?
    Thanks much

Re: Looking for musical saw (bowed saw) samples?

The problem with the saw is that its whole raison detre is all the stuff that samplers can't do. Controlled gliding, change of rate of vibrato, changes of timbre across notes. The approach of static notes with a few transition samples just isn't going to cut it.

On the other hand, if the piece is destined for live performance, you could do worse than using a VST theremin for now. There was a really good one called the mysterizer which I'm sure you can find with a bit of searching at KVR.

Thanks guys. Yeah I bought a saw, but it'll take me about a year to get good enough to play what I wrote!
    I know how difficult the prospect is for a good sample set given the nature of the beast - just hoping........

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    On the other hand, if the piece is destined for live performance, you could do worse than using a VST theremin for now. There was a really good one called the mysterizer which I'm sure you can find with a bit of searching at KVR.
    Infact there is a better one here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1197.html

-Bo

Bo,
    perhaps I should have mentioned I'm on Mac!
    thanks anyway, it looks good

Does anyone know if there have been any success in bowed saw sample instruments? Any decent bowed saws out there?

Quote Originally Posted by waltew View Post
    Does anyone know if there have been any success in bowed saw sample instruments? Any decent bowed saws out there?
    There just isn't any. It's probably the hardest thing to accomplish outside of sampling phrases and such. After I originally posted this I found an excellent player in LA and used him on a score I did - King Of California, available on iTunes and CD if you wanna hear it. He came with a full compliment of saws from soprano to baritone, which is impressive and something to hear. The player happened to be a 2nd violinist with LA Philharmonic, and this was his side job! Pretty neat.
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Bowed saw sounds like a good choice of color for that movie. I've got it in my dvd-collection so I'll check it out. Somehow it feels kind of good knowing some things can't be digitalized.

I'll take a listen to it. Thanks.

Go Back to forum