• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubasis, repeated notes cut off

Share/Bookmark

Cubasis, repeated notes cut off

Hi, I am using Sibelius for the notation and creation of music files, and to record them I open the midi file in Cubasis VST 4. For some reason when a note touches the note directly after it when it is the same note, this next note doesn't sound (ie when the boxes that represent notes touch eachother, the 2nd box doesn't sound). This only happens with repeated notes of the same pitch. I remember it didn't used to do this so I am not sure what is going on. It does this with any melodic instrument, regardless of polyphony, velocity, sustain. It's annoying to have to manually shrink the length of each note so they don't touch in order for it to play back correctly. Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Cubasis, repeated notes cut off

Quote Originally Posted by n_j_boland
    Hi, I am using Sibelius for the notation and creation of music files, and to record them I open the midi file in Cubasis VST 4. For some reason when a note touches the note directly after it when it is the same note, this next note doesn't sound (ie when the boxes that represent notes touch eachother, the 2nd box doesn't sound). This only happens with repeated notes of the same pitch. I remember it didn't used to do this so I am not sure what is going on. It does this with any melodic instrument, regardless of polyphony, velocity, sustain. It's annoying to have to manually shrink the length of each note so they don't touch in order for it to play back correctly. Any ideas? Thanks
    Sorry, that's a MIDI problem--the first note is "stepping directly upon" the note-on for the second, so the second note never sounds. That also should have happened previously for the same-note situation.
    Are you playing notes into Sibelius in realtime or entering in steptime?
    Do you have some legato setting set so that notes are like 103% length upon entry? Does Sibelius and/or Cubasis have some kind of "humanizing" function that you are using? All these COULD cause the problem with adjacent notes of identical pitch. If the notes are not the same, any amount of overlap is possible--in the extreme case, it becomes a chord.

I use Finale and Overture and have the same problem with same-pitch notes after I reandomize note starts and stops.

All you need to do is find the instances where the overlap occurs, and quantize the notes to 100% for note start and stop times.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Cubasis, repeated notes cut off

Thanks for your quick response. I entered it in steptime. I guess what confused me is that it would play back without doing that in Sibelius when I set up Garritan with it, but when I exported the midi file, it would do it in Cubasis. I had to set the notes to like 98% in Sibelius for it to stop though. It was at 100% before.

Go Back to forum