• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilogy:how to play slow repeated notes

Share/Bookmark

Question Trilogy:how to play slow repeated notes

I really enjoy the Spectrasonics Trilogy bass instrument and the True Staccato feature. For example, the acoustic bass works great on fast tempo songs.

However, when I try to play a slow tempo song (say Fields of Gold) I find the samples do not sustain long enough. I have tried using a sustain pedal, but that seems to muddy things. Any tips?

Thanks, Chris

Re: Trilogy:how to play slow repeated notes

As the name implies the notes on the uper half of the keyboard are multisamples of a staccato performance.
    They are not looped and will only sound as long as they have been sampled. You cannot change that with the sustainpedal or envelope.
    If you have to repeat long notes i would suggest you use different velocitylayers for the repeats. That way you can avoid the machinegun effect at slow tempos.

Hans

If sustain is actually working, I'd say to do a sus on with the ote ons and sus off at each release, to avoid the mud. If you just hold it down, it will indeed get gooey. Also be sure your envelope decay times are long enough, though it's probably a sample length issue.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs up Re: Trilogy:how to play slow repeated notes

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    If you have to repeat long notes I would suggest you use different velocity layers for the repeats. That way you can avoid the machine gun effect at slow tempos.
    Hans
    Sounds like a great idea! How do I go about using different velocity layers? Not familiar with that.

simply by playing at different velocities or edit them in your sequenzer.
    The trick is to use neighbouring zones on repeating notes. That ensures that you will have a different attack on repeats but dont get too much of a volumechange due to the changing velocity.

best
    Hans

Go Back to forum