• Register
  • Help

Topic: Expresscard sound cards?

Share/Bookmark

Expresscard sound cards?

I discovered when I was installing Sonar that my new laptop is severely limited in the audio and midi driver department, much to my chagrin, especially since when looking at the hardware components I chose it because I thought it was going to be able to handle audio (dualcore AMD, 2 gigs ram, nice big and fast hard drive). I've got the microsoft midi mapper and a conexant audio driver that will do 48khz and 96khz only.

I thought I'd just have to save some pennies for the EMU1616M or similar, but it is outfitted with the new expresscard slot instead of the good ol' PCMCIA. The expresscard slot is described as the replacement to the cardbus slot and is touted as being 2.5 times faster, but being newer technology it is also half the size, so it isn't backwards compatible.

Does anyone know of any expresscard-based sound cards for notebooks currently on or expected to hit the market soon?

-Reegs

Re: Expresscard sound cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    I discovered when I was installing Sonar that my new laptop is severely limited in the audio and midi driver department, much to my chagrin, especially since when looking at the hardware components I chose it because I thought it was going to be able to handle audio (dualcore AMD, 2 gigs ram, nice big and fast hard drive). I've got the microsoft midi mapper and a conexant audio driver that will do 48khz and 96khz only.

I thought I'd just have to save some pennies for the EMU1616M or similar, but it is outfitted with the new expresscard slot instead of the good ol' PCMCIA. The expresscard slot is described as the replacement to the cardbus slot and is touted as being 2.5 times faster, but being newer technology it is also half the size, so it isn't backwards compatible.

Does anyone know of any expresscard-based sound cards for notebooks currently on or expected to hit the market soon?

-Reegs
    If this is still a "live" issue, please re-post or PM me. I've finally gotten my DuelAdapter (PC ExpressCard to PCMCIA) to enable use of my 1616M on my Core Duo Dell w/ExpressCard slots. I'll be installing it tonight and running some tests. I'd be glad to post results/answers or whatever.

Joe

Go Back to forum