• Register
  • Help

Topic: Waves? How did I get, Waves?

Share/Bookmark

Question Waves? How did I get, Waves?

Looking through my software files I find a DVD disk with Waves Platinum bundled, Gold bundled, and many more including vocal and mastering schtuff! Now, where the heel did I get this and why didn't I install before? This DVD is LOADED with tools for recording it will take me several months to go through it all!
    Hm, must have received it along with my FirePod.
    Styxx

Re: Waves? How did I get, Waves?

It's probably a demo disc. I don't think they give the full versions of those things away for free.

DEmo? That's what I thought but not the case. They are full blown and ready for authorization. I believe I received as a gift a while back when I did not have a DVD drive so I put it aside. So far what's on here is pretty intense!
    Styxx

I think after 14 days the demo will expire and you will have to authorize the products. Good luck!

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by mlafontaine
    I think after 14 days the demo will expire and you will have to authorize the products. Good luck!

Michel
    14 days? OK.
    Styxx

In case you do not know...

the programs are demos (unless you hit the mega-mega jackpot), and they will expire at some point (14 days when I tried them.)

The bad news is that the Waves demos, and quite a few others these days, will install their copy protection software onto your computer.

Waves (and others) use a system called PACE. If you google music newsgroups for that term you'll see it referred to as a virus. In the past it has been known to create real problems and instability on computers.

And it is dang difficult to remove.

I believe that they do now provide a little window explaining that they are going to install it, but it goes by pretty quickly in the whole install process.

Waves itself is a really cool, really powerful toolset. I have the Gold Bundle (V3), and I do have it running on my system with PACE and without problems. I have not upgraded because their current upgrade model is to charge an annual fee after the initial purchase. It's in the ballpark of around $300-$400 for the Gold bundle, and that's a lot for "maintenance".

If I were making my living soley as a musician/composer/producer I might be able to justify the expense, but since half my work is still in the unpaid category I can't. And even if I could justify it, I have to say it smacks of extortion...

Just wanted to make sure you knew the details before you install the demos. They are amazing... but maybe not worth the price?

Bill

Understood. However, how come the DVD states nothing of the sort as far as demos? Wouldn't that be misleading? I have a tool here given to me by our IT Tech teacher that has been quite successful at removing virus and other malicious software deemed "hard to get rid of". Last encounter I had I borrowed the removal software and found several including PACE which I removed successfully.
    So far I installed the "Gold Bundled" software and have had no problems. Yet, if what you say is true it being a demo and after 14 day trial, is this when PACE becomes a problem or supposedly from the start of installation?
    Styxx

It is possible that what you have is an NFR copy... that means "Not for Resale", and if you have never run across such a thing you will now that you own a music store. It is exactly what it says it is, you are authorized to use the software, but you can not re-sell it. (Ironically, in the old days you could give it away, not sure if that is still true!)

If that is the case then you are all set. It probably still installed some kind of copy protection routine, but perhaps not, I don't have an NFR copy of Waves to check.

If it is the demo, then it is highly probable that they did install PACE, or some other CP scheme. I've never seen a demo that wasn't protected.

Not to sound like I approve of piracy (I do not!), or that I don't think others are allowed to benefit from their efforts, but Waves is one of the worst offenders when it comes to making their paying customers suffer while not really doing much about piracy. I can download fully functional, completely unprotected copies of any and all of their software any time I want by just surfing the net. I was appalled recently to find a torrent for the Platinum bundle on an otherwise clean list of torrents.

People need to learn to respect other's property rights, because honest folks suffer at the moment. I have chosen to stay at the revision level I have today specifically because I do not wish to be supportive of their anti-customer ways (and I know that is harsh, but so are they!)

And that's too bad, because even the V3 plugins are truly wonderful.

(An aside - once upon a time I did some beta testing for a couple of companies... the PACE driver is smart enough to recognize any attempt to change the code, so if you have beta software, and it tries to write a log or do any other typical error condition behavior PACE will shut it down! In order to test software you have to remove Waves or Antares plugins and PACE!)

Confirmed PACE is on me HD!
    The Waves DVD is "V5r2" and it indeed says Demo in fine print and is indeed 14 days. No problems with running anything so far and the removal software "contained" PACE dll and other folders". This removal tool is from what I understand the cats meow and is used to recover even files that cannot be overwritten or removed using other tools. Regardless, I am experiencing no problems, so far.
    All I installed from the DVD is Waves Gold 5.0. Eh, going to get rid of this PC soon anyway.
    So, you are telling me that PACE is a part of Waves software no matter? Seems to be OK so far but I am wondering what will happen after the 14 days are up.
    Thanks for the learning experience!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Confirmed PACE is on me HD!
    I hate it when that happens!!!

The Waves DVD is "V5r2" and it indeed says Demo in fine print and is indeed 14 days. <snip> Regardless, I am experiencing no problems, so far.
    The nice folks at Waves are not known for being terribly philanthropic... I would have been surprised to hear that they provided NFR versions. Digidesign is another company that does not provide NFR copies except to reviewers, and those time out!

I would not expect you to have problems... except that at the end of 14 days you may find yourself getting very broke!!!

All I installed from the DVD is Waves Gold 5.0. Eh, going to get rid of this PC soon anyway.
    Getting rid of the computer is the best known method for removing PACE<G>...

I'd suggest you give some of the other plugins a spin as well. Their noise reduction tools are quite good. For straight music production type tasks I am happy with Gold. The Renassaisance compressor was my first call compressor for a very long time.

So, you are telling me that PACE is a part of Waves software no matter? Seems to be OK so far but I am wondering what will happen after the 14 days are up.
    PACE is a company that provides an array of copy protection schemes for software developers. At one time they substituted a driver for one of the standard drivers, which made it nearly impossible to disable (and remove) the system from a computer once it had booted. They also have the ability to stop things if they sense that a debugger has loaded the code (one of the oldest tricks in the book is to use a debugger to find the code that is looking for a dongle, key file, password, etc and simply remove it!)

The system that replaced some standard driver caused a ton of problems for a lot of people. PACE was very antagonistic towards people who complained, which was ok since those people were not really PACE customers, companies like Antares and Waves were the real customer.

In the end it left a pretty bad taste in everyone's mouth.
    Thanks for the learning experience!
    No problem... a little folk lore is good every once in a while.

Go Back to forum