• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Too Short Xmas Tune?

Share/Bookmark

Smile Too Short Xmas Tune?

Hi All!

This is my scratch track arrangement of "I Saw 3 Ships" and I am wondering if I could solicit an opinion regarding the length? Is it too short? I can modulate and restate in another key, etc. and go at it for days because it is a neat little jig. But, I kind of like it short...not sure what to do...

Let me know your thoughts, if you have a minute...

Thanks,

Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Re: Too Short Xmas Tune?

Paula this is very cool!
    The only thing that I think needs fixing is the trumpet velocities and legato.
    I know when I use cc64 for tounging, sometimes it actually sounds better without it. Try it, you might bump the velocities up to at least 90-100 too.
    I love the way it ends.
    Very neat!
    Dan

Thank you so much for commenting! So - in DP - can I insert the cc64 value in the track in the midi window? Should I rerecord the trumpet line using the pedal because that is the assignment out of Kontact right now, but I could reassign? Would shortening the value of the notes work the same? Am I catching your drift at all? I do have a lot of remixing to do since this track is pretty rough, but I am rather lax in my technique of laying the tracks so if I can master that, I will not have as much cleaning up to do later.

Thank you again for your remarks, they are very helpful.
    ~Paula

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Paula this is very cool!
    The only thing that I think needs fixing is the trumpet velocities and legato.
    I know when I use cc64 for tounging, sometimes it actually sounds better without it. Try it, you might bump the velocities up to at least 90-100 too.
    I love the way it ends.
    Very neat!
    Dan
    Cheers!
    Paula

Hi Paula, I didn't know you used DP cool!
    Absolutley you can,.. you can draw the cc64 data in, which takes too long, so I just put DP into overdub mode, and put the midi track into record ready, and hit record. Simply apply the sustain pedal when needed. I am assuming you use a keyboard?

Let me know if I can be of any further help, I like this alot!
    Dan

That is just too cool. I will try it. Thanks so much again!

Hi Paula, I didn't know you used DP cool!
    Absolutley you can,.. you can draw the cc64 data in, which takes too long, so I just put DP into overdub mode, and put the midi track into record ready, and hit record. Simply apply the sustain pedal when needed. I am assuming you use a keyboard?

Let me know if I can be of any further help, I like this alot!
    Dan

Cheers!
    Paula

AWESOME! glad to help!
    me

I use the overdub feature constantly. I usually play in the notes, then I correct the boo boo's, then I overdub mod wheel and then fix velocities and then cc64. and then and then then

That is really cool! I didn't realize that the mod wheel would do anything in overdub! I can't wait to use that. I have scratched so much because I can't play and use the mod wheel that great at the same time! This is great news!

I use the overdub feature constantly. I usually play in the notes, then I correct the boo boo's, then I overdub mod wheel and then fix velocities and then cc64. and then and then then
    Cheers!
    Paula

Nice arrangement of this, Paula!

I think I might shoot for a little more length on it,
    since you ask. Perhaps a short segment kicked
    back in tempo to create a bit of contrast might
    work?

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It is a good idea to first put a straight line of mod wheel data in, that way, it will continue throughout the whole piece. This is good enough to hear a decent volume. Once the notes have been played in, double click on one of the little black dots of mod wheel data, and hit delete, then overdub the mod wheel. If you make a boo boo, simply go back and erase the wrong data and continue on. You should never have conflicting overlapping modwheel data, then Save Save Save!!!

Another DP tip of the day has to do with keyswitches.
    After you have inserted all the correct keyswitches, (and you should), highlight all of them, and click on "region" in the Apple menu, and select "change duration". A dialog box will open and you need to select "move releases" hit enter, each keyswitch note will be lenghtened all the way to the beginning of the next keyswitch note. Now, for instance, when you are editing 1st violins, and you are editing some pizz, you scroll back and the correct articulation will be triggered because as soon as DP starts, it plays that long keyswitch note for the full duration of the pizz section. Cool huh!
    If for some reason keyswitches are missed, you should highlight all these long notes and go to the end of one of them, and shorten it eversoslightly, this will shorten all of them the same amount putting a little gap between them allowing GPO enough time to recognize the keyswitch change.

Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast