• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will GPOA work with 2GB RAM ?

Share/Bookmark

Will GPOA work with 2GB RAM ?

Hello,

I do know we shouldn't ask when GPOA will be out, but do you mind if I ask you a question about its feature ?

If I don't make lapse of memory, I remember that Mr. Hopkins wrote "GPOA full orchestra will work with 2GB RAM PC without using DFD function." at this forum last year. After that, many things about GPOA seem to change, and can I expect to use new GPOA with 2GB PC even now ?

Best regards,
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

Re: Will GPOA work with 2GB RAM ?

Right now, it is kind of hard to tell. There are recent problems surfacing due to them crossing over to the Kontakt 2 system. So these requirements may have to wait a short period of time before we get any word of them.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Post Re: Will GPOA work with 2GB RAM ?

No specification is valid until a program goes gold. That being said, I'm looking at putting 4 gig on my next machine. You know, just to be sure. That being said, I'll have to start with 2 gig and then budget for the next 2. The main reason I'm planning on 4 total is because I see nothing that shows Vista being resource light. Between it and GPOA and other applications, the more memory the better. My main problem is getting the wife to ok 4 gig let alone 6 or 8!

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I can't imagine Gary releasing a product at this point that requires more than 2 gigs. I have faith he'll give us something bang-up that will run fine with 2, and maybe even stumble along acceptably with 1.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Doralin
    If I don't make lapse of memory, I remember that Mr. Hopkins wrote "GPOA full orchestra will work with 2GB RAM PC without using DFD function." at this forum last year. After that, many things about GPOA seem to change, and can I expect to use new GPOA with 2GB PC even now ?
    I don't honestly remember making any particular statement about RAM usage for GPOA but then I sometimes can't remember where I left my wallet and car keys, so it wouldn't surprise me . . . As to the question in the present, I can't really answer that one until GPOA, as LFO put it, "goes gold." Too many things are still in motion to know how things will finally sort out. As always, it will ultimately depend on what the user is trying to do and how many instruments are being jammed into the available RAM. It will also depend on how successful the streaming option becomes in the K2 player because that could have an effect. The rules will remain the same, though: When it comes to RAM, more will usually be better.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I have faith he'll give us something bang-up that will run fine with 2, and maybe even stumble along acceptably with 1.
    I'll bet it will be able to "stumble along" on even less than that! When it comes to stumbling on insufficient RAM we hope to set new standards!! Cough.

Tom

Thanks for your replies.

Only 2GB RAM can be installed into my laptop PCs. So, I hope GPOA will work within 2GB for a certain time. I have never carried an affair with some or other libraries since last year because I believe GPOA will continue to be light and high-quality.
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins

• When it comes to stumbling... we hope to set new standards!!

I'm proud of you, Tom... no sacrifice too great.

GPO always surprised the hell out of me in this regard. Even with
    fairly full orchestral scoring and running Finale at the same time,
    I'm usually only touching 1.4G or so.

In that Tom has personal expenses for other supplies necessary
    to his research into advanced stumbling techniques, I doubt he
    has funds left over to be buying large quantities of RAM.

Therefore, one can reasonably deduce that, despite his modest
    statements, GPOA will indeed run comfortably in 2G.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Q.E.D.

A modern library has to be 24 bit to face competition. GPO is 16 bit. 24=1.5*16. So, GPOA will require at least 1.5 times the RAM of GPO, if it has to run in "sampler" mode (no DFD). 2 GB? Dubious. 1 GB? In your dreams. This is for a full orchestra, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Therefore, one can reasonably deduce that, despite his modest
    statements, GPOA will indeed run comfortably in 2G.
    Yes, it will either run comfortably in 2Gs or it will cost 2Gs to get it to run comfortably - I'm not sure which.

It will probably come as no surprise that I just stumbled upon this thread in the first place. I strive for consistency in everything I do!

Tom

Go Back to forum