• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Do you listen to your own music for pleasure?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Do you listen to your own music for pleasure?

I was wondering if you guys listen to your own music for pleasure? Do you have a CD of your favorite stuff you've done and listen to it while driving to work etc? Does you "greatest hits" collection of other composers include a few of your tracks? Or do you spend more time listening to other composers for inspiration and techniques?

Just wondering...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: OT: Do you listen to your own music for pleasure?

Sometimes, but mostly not.

When I recorded my first CD last year, I listened to it intently while we were in the process of recording it, but once it was finished, I felt like I never wanted to hear it again. (Hopefully the people who bought it don't feel that way!)

We are recording another CD right now, and the same thing seems to be happening. Actually, its turning out pretty well, and I know I'm going to be pleased with it, but after being intensely involved with something over several months, you feel like you've heard everything enough times already.

Anyway, I'm always more interested in the next project than the last one.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Much more time listening to others for educational purposes.

I'll occasionally hear some of my work in passing ... having to make copies of CDs or recompile a demo CD and will indulge then just out of curriosity.

Like Dan, after I finish a project I feel like I never want to hear it again. I usually put my tracks on my iPod so I always have a copy of my music with to demo. Occassionally it will shuffle to one of my tracks and I listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Sometimes, but mostly not.
    Anyway, I'm always more interested in the next project than the last one.
    Same situation here.

I must be one of the weird ones and I do listen to my own material for pleasure.
    Chris

hardly wierd --I can't see much point in writing unless the majority of pieces at least are not for your own pleasure. Certainly I like to listening from time to time even if at times I don't like what I hear!

I have CD's in the car of my pop songs that I sing along to trying to come up with lyrics, melodies, etc (I'm sure I've had a few motorists thinking i'm going into convulsiions while I'm trying to hit the high notes!)

I do ocassionaly listen to my soundtrack type stuff, sometimes to think of how i could have done it better, and sometimes because it just appeals to me and i'm kinda proud that i can do this... (lame?) I guess if I don't like my stuff who will?

On the other side of the coin sometimes listening to other composers depresses the poop out of me 'cause I feel I'll never be as good. (John Williams, Howard Shore, Thomas J...)

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Yes, "my" music appears on many playlists. However, with rare exceptions, only live recordings make the cut. Good memories. Listening to studio recordings tends to remind me of drudgery instead of the joy of musicmaking.

When I write a piece, I tend to not listen to it right away. But enjoy listening to very old pieces of music that I have written. (Like 3-4 years old)
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast