• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with phantom power and Condenser Mics using M-audio FW 410

Share/Bookmark

Problem with phantom power and Condenser Mics using M-audio FW 410

Hi People,

I've bough used M-audio FW 410 interface and two condenser paired for stereo Behringer mics.

The problem is: When I switch Phantom power ON on the FW 410 there is a big humming noise in the recording, when I swithc it Off then hummm is gone but mics are powered only for 2-3 seconds and after that they stop working because they need 48V Phantom to operate....
    check here for a test: www.kulmusic.com/phantom-test.wav (around 3rd second I turn off the phantom)
    What can be wrong ? I don't have any other condenser mics to test The Dynamic mic works perfectly....
    I've tried using FW on a DC adapter, powered only via FW cable on my desktop...

any clues ?

Re: Problem with phantom power and Condenser Mics using M-audio FW 410

I think that I found the problem....
    it's the level of the Phantom... the mics need 48V. When connected to a big studio mixer they work perfect, but connected to FW410 nope....
    A friend of me said that lower phantom then needed can cause such problems....
    We have connected a 9V AKG mic, switched ON the phantom on the FW410 and it works.

Re: Problem with phantom power and Condenser Mics using M-audio FW 410

There have been rumors about M-Audio microphone preamplifiers and their phantom power supplies over the years. I don't know if there is any truth to them, I have a DMP-2 and a couple of the little Audio Buddy units, and the DMP-2 is rock solid, one of the Audio Buddy supplies was a little anemic.

I need to take a moment to offer this caveat... I worked as an analog audio designed for M-Audio back when they were Midiman... I think that overall they make great gear, and I use some of it in my studio. I clearly have a bias.

OK, back to our story...

There is a defined standard for Phantom Power... but some microphones draw more current than others, and some are more tolerant of voltage sags than others.

Your best bet is to measure the voltage across the signal pins on your microphone when it is acting up to see if it is still withing the specifications for your microphone (some microphones will operate properly on as little as 9 -12 VDC.)

If you like the sound of the preamplifier it is pretty simple to beef up the phantom supply. Let me know if you'd like details...

Bill

Go Back to forum