• Register
  • Help

Topic: Acoustic Levitation

Share/Bookmark

Acoustic Levitation

Using three loudspeakers in a plexiglass cube, a scientist has made little paper cups fly around and control them in three dimensions. Dr. Deak did the project while working for NASA in 1987, and is now an artist.

Here is the YouTube video of Dr David Deak's 'Acoustic Levitation Chamber'.

http://www.deakworld.com/

It would be quite a site to see someone being "levitated" using sound waves.

Re: Acoustic Levitation

A proper diet with enough cabbage in it, and you
    can do that without any expensive hardware.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Interestingly enough, I have read that despite the lack of any real historical documentation as to how it was done, that there are some drawings/hieroglyphics that seem to suggest that this method of levitation (using sound) was used to construct the pyramids.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A proper diet with enough cabbage in it, and you
    can do that without any expensive hardware.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    As shown in this rare footage:

Q.E.D.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Q.E.D.

Nope - L.S.D.

Regarding acoustic levitation...I remember a few weeks ago I had this fad for chickpeas that lasted two weeks. I'd buy a couple of 500 gram bags of these ready-to-eat chickpeas a week, and they were quite soft, not hard at all, nice and munchy, perfect for snacking.

During that fad the rooms I had been assigned to at work developed an odour problem in the short term with fellow employees complaining at least a dozen times an hour. And boy, talk about acoustic levitation, I had blown a hole in my pants within those two weeks. Never knew soundwaves could manage that, but indeed so. Before this chickpea fad, I didn't have that issue.

Now that the chickpea fad is over, I can't do acoustic levitation anymore, well, not nearly as much, that's for sure, oh and by the way I still have my job. All I had to do was promise my boss that I would never eat chickpeas again

Go Back to forum