• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PDF and MP3 available: Vesuvius-From Sea (Lullaby)

Share/Bookmark

PDF and MP3 available: Vesuvius-From Sea (Lullaby)

Hello all,

Since my lullaby from Vesuvius got a great response here when I posted it, I thought I'd share the score in pdf form for those who are interested. I've retitled it to From Sea.

Vesuvius mov. II From Sea mp3 - pdf

The complete set as mp3s:
    I - From the Foot
    II - From Sea
    III - From the Mouth.
    Last edited by Skysaw; 03-29-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: updated links
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: PDF and MP3 available: Vesuvius-From Sea (Lullaby)

Thanks, Jamie.

Interesting reading!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

*bump*... in case anyone is still interested in printed scores.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Thanks for sharing this, Jamie. It will be interesting reading. I love the music, with its fog horn and eerie atmosphere. And when Sea Side Santa comes riding the waves, that's the top

At this moment it is too noisy outside (some bagpipes are rehearsing; the local band), but tomorrow I will listen again. I played all three pieces and looked at the score. Wonderful music!

Which notation program is this?

Raymond

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Thanks for sharing this, Jamie. It will be interesting reading. I love the music, with its fog horn and eerie atmosphere. And when Sea Side Santa comes riding the waves, that's the top
    Curse those sleighbells! But what can I do? They just sound right!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    At this moment it is too noisy outside (some bagpipes are rehearsing; the local band), but tomorrow I will listen again. I played all three pieces and looked at the score. Wonderful music! Which notation program is this?
    The score was prepared with Sibelius 3 (still need to upgrade to 4). I finished movement 2 first, since it used the fewest players and was the simplest rhythmically. Well, it turned out to be a little tricky in some places, such as the timpani pedal glissandi, but Sibelius handled it like a charm once I figured out how to do it.

I'm almost finished the scores to movements 1 and 3, and will post them together most likely. The third movement has been difficult and tedius, but it's shaping up rather well.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Lovely Piece, and interesting to see the score.

The engraving of the tymp glisses seems very detailed. Cant you just use the wavy line Gliss symbol. ?

Looking forward to the scores of the completed suite.

regards Joe

Hey Jamie, as scores are concerned, I have been diligently working on my own. I had a recent live performance. Even though the performance was good I learned some hard and valuable lessons about scoring properly. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I sincerely value the score and enjoyed looking at your piece in written form. Well, I have finished 3 scores of mine and working on the last now... then I can go back and do creative work on a new piece.
    Thought I'd share...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Lovely Piece, and interesting to see the score.

The engraving of the tymp glisses seems very detailed. Cant you just use the wavy line Gliss symbol. ?
    Thank you, Joe. I always prefer the straight glissando line to the wavy, as it seems a bit more universal. The wavy line usually means arpeggiated or rolled chord to me. But I think what you're really talking about is the metered roll and the headless note stems. Honestly, I couldn't see a simpler way to show what I wanted that was as clear as I needed. It was important to indicate the even sextuplets, and to show on which notes the gliss started and ended. For a sustained note in another instrument, it would have been simpler, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hey Jamie, as scores are concerned, I have been diligently working on my own. I had a recent live performance. Even though the performance was good I learned some hard and valuable lessons about scoring properly. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I sincerely value the score and enjoyed looking at your piece in written form. Well, I have finished 3 scores of mine and working on the last now... then I can go back and do creative work on a new piece.
    Thanks, Michael. There is a chance that Vesuvius will receive a performance at some point, and I'm treating it as if it will, so that everything will be in place when the time comes. I'm actually playing catch-up now, going back and creating scores in Sibelius for works I've completed over the last two years. I've recently finished my Five Unlikely Visions score which took a lot of work. Still a couple of more works to finish after all that. What I wouldn't give for a full-time assistant!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Jamie,

Excellent work! For some reason, the PDF comes out as a staff with stems, but no noteheads Still, the score seems very clear from listening. Very well written and realized. The space/spaciousness is beautifully handled. As nice as this is, I imagine it would be even more effective in a live performance. It certainly deserves it!

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast