• Register
  • Help

Topic: Project Sam Enemble v. Solo sessions?

Share/Bookmark

Project Sam Enemble v. Solo sessions?

I have the Project SAM Horns (which I love) and am considering getting the trumpets and trombones as well. I'm curious if anyone has opinions on the merits of using the ensemble libraries versus the solo sessions.

For for example, would three solo SAM trombones sound like a convincing section, or is it better to go with the dedicated trombone ensemble library?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Re: Project Sam Enemble v. Solo sessions?

If you want a convincing section, so don't buy SAM solo sessions. Because the problem with sampled instruments is even if you have 3 differents sampled solo trombones , and you make them play one note, it wont sound like a directly sampled 3-trombones section. When 3 trombones play a note in the same room, soundwaves interact between each other and it makes a big trombone sound. But if you record the 3 trombones separately and then mix them , it will sound weird and not as big as the 3 trombones recorded together.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter
    If you want a convincing section, so don't buy SAM solo sessions. Because the problem with sampled instruments is even if you have 3 differents sampled solo trombones , and you make them play one note, it wont sound like a directly sampled 3-trombones section. When 3 trombones play a note in the same room, soundwaves interact between each other and it makes a big trombone sound. But if you record the 3 trombones separately and then mix them , it will sound weird and not as big as the 3 trombones recorded together.
    That part I understood. I was more thinking of convincing harmonies through layering, rather than unisons. But maybe you make a good point - I'll still want big unisons as well.

Dear Mike,

If it is harmonizing/orchestration you're after we'd definitely recommend our SAM Solo Sessions. The solo recordings will create much more realistic chords and harmonies than section samples will do. I myself use Solo Sessions for creating sections as well, by layering them on top of other section samples such as SAM Trumpets.

Best,

Maarten
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten Spruijt
    Dear Mike,

If it is harmonizing/orchestration you're after we'd definitely recommend our SAM Solo Sessions. The solo recordings will create much more realistic chords and harmonies than section samples will do. I myself use Solo Sessions for creating sections as well, by layering them on top of other section samples such as SAM Trumpets.

Best,

Maarten
    Hi Maarten,

Thanks for the response. Hearing directly from the soundware creator, and in such a timely fashion, is a very nice thing!

Are there any demos online comparing harmonies created with the solo sessions to those created with the ensemble libraries?

All the best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Take a look at our Demos page. For example "Fanfare" and "Choral" are created using section samples. "Return of a Soldier" and "Frontier" are created using solo samples. Apart from the harmonization, it is also a matter of taste. Both have quite a different sound.

Best,

Maarten
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

Mike, I just finished a open for a indy film and used both the sections and solos in the cue and it really brought a natural feel to it. Solos covering both strong articulations and chordal while then using the sections to cover the very strong unison parts and swells. I know it comes down to what you have for your budget but the combo is great to work with.

Chris

Hey maarten, I can't find the choral demo.

You're right, it's not there anymore. Try some of the bottom demos instead.

Best,

Maarten
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

Go Back to forum