• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo instruments versus players

Share/Bookmark

Solo instruments versus players

Having a piece with two clarinets, 2 french horns, 2 flutes, etc.... let's say that I have two voices per each instrument. What is wisdom? To choose player1 and player2 or to have two solo instruments?

By the way, I found out that player 1 of the clarinets has some glitches on starting notes, in the higher range of the instrument.

Looking at the manual, the players instruments are merely for ensemble building. The two flutes, and other pairs, play in an orchestral piece. So again, what is wisdom or gives me more satisfaction (or maybe better, more balanced instrumentation).

Raymond

Re: Solo instruments versus players

I by far prefer using two solo instruments, where possible. There is a greater variety of tone that way, and it comes off more realistic sounding. If you do end up using ensemble instruments, make sure you set the polyphony of each to "1," so that legato mode will work.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Solo instruments versus players

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Having a piece with two clarinets, 2 french horns, 2 flutes, etc.... let's say that I have two voices per each instrument. What is wisdom? To choose player1 and player2 or to have two solo instruments?
    To get authentic-sounding unisons, you will need to use Player 1 and Player 2 (or Solo 1 and Solo 2 when available). If, for instance, your two flutes never play in unison, you can get away with using two instances of the same solo flute. But if they do occasionally play unison (a2) passages, you'll want to use Player 1 and Player 2.

Go Back to forum