• Register
  • Help

Topic: Octet for Winds and Percussion MM II

Share/Bookmark

Octet for Winds and Percussion MM II

Here is the 2nd and final movement of my Octet for Winds and Percussion. It was very difficult to get the slides and glissandi accurately realized in Finale 2007. The piece is written in alleatoric style (non-measured and much of the performance left up to the performer's will).

Octet MM II

It's not for the faint of heart.

And, since I get the impression many do not know how to listen to this type of music, I have included the form outline below:

A INTRO - passing clusters with trilled 2nds to an oboe solo followed by a clarinet solo

A' Repeat - as above but clarinets have the original oboe solo material and the oboes conclude with the restatement of the clarinet solo material

B Woodwind susttained clusters with brass outbursts

A" to B' Woodwind moving clusters against the brass outbursts

A"' CODA - a chorale section for the woodwinds with the cluster acting like the last string section of Ive's "Unanswered Question"
    the brass have one more outburst and then the trumpets have a quiet duet against the obstinate woodwinds.

The percussion are used to accenuate or "slap" the brass for all their naughty outbursts.

Re: Octet for Winds and Percussion MM II

Wrayer,

No heart-fainting here! I very much enjoyed what you have done here - I'm an old cluster fan. You mentioned Ives, and Ives remains one of my absolute favorites. Anyway, keep 'em coming.

Tom

I'm with Tom on this one, a highly listenable, followable, and
    worthwhile piece, William.

Too often aleotorics degenerate into incomprehensible
    exercises that do little for the ear; but for me, this was a
    an interesting and engaging listen.

I understand the difficulties in Finale of getting slides and
    glissandi to behave exactly as desired -- though I think
    they are reasonably convincing in this rendering.

One tip on that that may be of small help. I've found that
    sometimes you need to break up note durations into smaller
    values (say quarters into sixteenths) to get the beginning
    and ending points precisely where you want them in time.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks Tom and Dave for listening. It is a second movement and sounds much more cohesive when listened with the first movement (located here somewhere as Octet.) I did try to break the glissandi down as you described. In the actual notation I have just drawn a curved line moving up and down to be followed at the will of the performer - Finale requires a bit more power of suggestion!

Anyway, I'm glad you found it a good listen.

I am going to 'putz' with the glissandi to see if I can get a little better control of the movement. I probably could use a mod wheel to do this, but I have never tried that. If it were a midi file I could probably use the bend wheel, but doing it with sampled sounds is trickier.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer

...Finale requires a bit more power of suggestion!
    ROFL... I love how you phrased that. Indeed!

I don't own or use a keyboard, modwheel, etc., so things like
    this can be a challenge in notation.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Just a point, I'll bet Larry Alexander doesn't listen to this or post a response here. I am baiting him to respond. You see, there are no pretty chords here.

Here is the 2nd and final movement of my Octet for Winds and Percussion. It was very difficult to get the slides and glissandi accurately realized in Finale 2007. The piece is written in alleatoric style (non-measured and much of the performance left up to the performer's will).

Dude!

Just my cup of tea!

I also use alleatoric techniques, very kool.

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Just a point, I'll bet Larry Alexander doesn't listen to this or post a response here. I am baiting him to respond. You see, there are no pretty chords here.
    You lose!

I'm really not qualified to respond because what I know about this type of music could be stuffed into a gnat's ear with room to spare.

On a personal note, sorry...it is just not "my cup of whatever". But, to each his own.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum