• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EWQL/SONAR Controller Problems

Share/Bookmark

EWQL/SONAR Controller Problems

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my controller to work. I followed the instructions someone gave on here about using CC#7 with non-DXF instruments. In fact, I've tried just about everything.

It seems like the Mod Wheel's CC#1 affects EWQLSO, but it's really loud. There's no way to fade it below typical mf level, which kinda stinks if you want to make the instrument fade to perhaps a ppp level.

But I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong anyway. The non-DXF instruments aren't affected by any controllers used thus far, and DXF (as said) is pretty darn loud.

So far, I'm aware CC#1 affects the upper half of the mod wheel, CC#7 should (but doesn't) affect non-DFX volume, and CC#11 should (but again doesn't) affect expression.

Please help.

Thanks!

Edit: Also of note: For some reason, it seemed like there for a minute it was adding the note velocity to CC#1. That...can't be right. Mod Wheel plus Velocity never equals more volume.... Right? But I set velocity on all notes to 1, and it seemed *slightly* quieter. I dunno, maybe SONAR's becoming senile.

Re: EWQL/SONAR Controller Problems

Perhaps it's your controller. Make sure you have the latest driver installed.

Which controller is it anyway?

I have a nice expensive controller that always works great and then I have a $60 controller that always works like crap.

Mike

as far as I understand this it's like this:

non-DXF instruments are controlled like normal instruments - by note velocity and volume+expression controllers (AFAIR CC#7 and CC#11)

DXF instruments are controlled with mod-wheel - CC#1

I use EWQL Silver and it works for me. you should check the EWQL forum - there is some info on this (search for "controller").

CC:07 can also be used on the DXF patches. So can CC:11.
    If the fade isn't drastic enough use CC:11 to get it real quiet or CC:07 to do even more.
    The DXF thing is mainly for expressive swells.

I use Sonar with EWQLSOGold, Stormdrum ( no CC:11 in Stormdrum ) Absynth,
    and to control GigaStudio 2.5 on an other computer.

All of my controllers ( CC:07, CC:11, CC:01 ) all work with no problems.

As a test, manually enter some CC:07 and CC:11 in the piano roll view using the pencil. That should tell you what's happening.

I'm assuming you're using it in the Kompakt Player that came with it. The controllers should be on by default, put check under options>settings and make sure "use std cc#7/cc#10 volume & pan" is turned on. If it is and midi volume still doesn't work, try drawing it in like Steve said. If that works then Kompakt is responding and it's probably your controller.
    I don't use Sonar, but is it possible the tracks are set to filter out (some)CC's?
    Another thing you can try (since you apparently can get the mod wheel to work), is to set Sonar up to convert CC#1 (your mod wheel) to CC#7 on input. As I don't use Sonar I can't tell you how to do that, but you SHOULD be able to do it, remapping controllers is a pretty standard feature in today's Sequencer apps.

As far as the DXF instruments being very loud, they can be if the lowest layer isn't a p or pp layer...since the velocity response is disabled on those patches. Thus, depending on how hard you're used to playing, they may seem loud compared to conventional patches. So you may need CC#7 to set a good balance...once you get that to work.

matto

Thanks for everyone's input.

I actually don't have a real mod wheel. I use the line tool in SONAR's Piano Roll view for everything. Kind of annoying, but it's all that's available at the moment, so it *has* to work.

I'll try checking and seeing if EWQLSO is set to respond to mod wheel activity in the first place. That might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanhithion
    I actually don't have a real mod wheel. I use the line tool in SONAR's Piano Roll view for everything. Kind of annoying, but it's all that's available at the moment, so it *has* to work.
    Oh geez well then most of my suggestions don't apply...
    I'll try checking and seeing if EWQLSO is set to respond to mod wheel activity in the first place. That might be the problem.
    Not likely, since you're saying you can get the DXF patches to work, those are set up to respond to modwheel. As is GPO btw, it uses the mod wheel to control volume, not CC#7.
    I'd say first make sure that CC#7 and #10 are turned on in the Kompakt options; if they are make sure you check if CC#7 and others (other than #1) work with your other synth plug-ins or even external modules. Cause it sounds to me more and more like Sonar might be filtering them out...

I just got it to work. Thank you very much for everyone's suggestions

It was something wrong specifically in the song I was using. For some reason, when I use SONAR's Piano Roll view, and alter the modulations (like in GPO, which I know works, btw), they're drawn. But when I close and reopen the window, the visuals have reset (so that it appears empty), yet the modulations still work.

For instance, I can draw a crescendo in GPO using the line tool in the mod wheel setting, and it makes the instrument grow louder. But when I go do something else, and reopen the window, the drawn crescendo is gone, yet it's still there in the sound.

I guess I must've made a modulation and had this "reset" happen somehow, and it decided to use the first drawn modulation as opposed to the second.

Geez. I need something else. Please tell me Digital Performer is better than SONAR.

Also, is it much more effective to use a real mod wheel as opposed to drawing the changes?

Which version of Sonar are you using? I've never had this happen to me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tanhithion
    Geez. I need something else. Please tell me Digital Performer is better than SONAR.
    Sounds like a bug, perhaps even specific to your machine. I certainly don't think *anybody* would be using Sonar if that was a...uhm...feature of the program...
    Also, is it much more effective to use a real mod wheel as opposed to drawing the changes?
    Oh god yes! You can actually play phrases and shape them as you play...you know...make MUSIC . Sure you sometimes have to go in after and edit the curve a little bit, but overall it makes a BIG difference to be able to do dynamics in real time.

Go Back to forum