• Register
  • Help

Topic: Procession of the Nobles for Brass Sextet

Share/Bookmark

Procession of the Nobles for Brass Sextet

Here is an arrangement of the Rimsky-Korsakov piece that I have just completed for my brass sextet.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/be80e2db-4...the-Nobles.mp3

I worked hard to get the full orchestra into 6 brass parts - 2 trumpets, 2 horns, trombone and tuba. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Re: Procession of the Nobles for Brass Sextet

Wow... impressively able transcription of this.

Orchestratively, very well balanced, voiced and
    executed.

William - to my ear, at any rate - the one thing
    I might do is back off the volume of the lower
    brass a bit, it sounds slightly heavy to me. Note,
    now, I'm not talking about the orchestration,
    here -- just the audio level. Not much. Just
    a little.

Great job on this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Smile Re: Procession of the Nobles for Brass Sextet

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Here is an arrangement of the Rimsky-Korsakov piece that I have just completed for my brass sextet.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/be80e2db-4...the-Nobles.mp3

I worked hard to get the full orchestra into 6 brass parts - 2 trumpets, 2 horns, trombone and tuba. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
    NICE!

There is a cool brass quintet & organ version available...we play it frequently; I play the 1st horn part on euphonium. Big fun! Sits around G-C above middle C.
    Much as it pains me, as a low brass player, to say it--the lower instruments do need a bit of "the hand" or else the trumpet melodies need to come up.
    Some notes you have as long we usually play short, but that's personal taste, and we play in biiiig churches with a lot of ring, so we are usually the "CC21=2" brass quintet.

PS--Where's Lorain? Near Cleveland? I do a lot of clinics in Columbus, usually in conjunction with Otterbein College.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    NICE!

There is a cool brass quintet & organ version available...we play it frequently; I play the 1st horn part on euphonium. Big fun! Sits around G-C above middle C.
    Much as it pains me, as a low brass player, to say it--the lower instruments do need a bit of "the hand" or else the trumpet melodies need to come up.
    Some notes you have as long we usually play short, but that's personal taste, and we play in biiiig churches with a lot of ring, so we are usually the "CC21=2" brass quintet.

PS--Where's Lorain? Near Cleveland? I do a lot of clinics in Columbus, usually in conjunction with Otterbein College.

Jim
    Hi and thanks Jim.

Yes, I agree that the low brass are a bit loud in this mix, but we will be playing it live. I did the recording so the others in the group could get a 'feel' for the piece.

Lorain is just west of Cleveland and is on the lake just north of Elyria. Let me know when you are in Columbus, I would love to visit your clinic.

I am aware of the Quintet and Organ version, but we needed a 'stand alone' piece.

David, a pleasure as always hearing from you.

Wrayer,
    I remember using this for the King's journey to Bethlehem to see little baby Jesus at our church's Christmas pageant many years ago. Brings back good memories! I remember timpani in this piece though, nice job.

Dan

Wrayer,

Very nice trascription for small brass ensemble. I can understand the issues of spreading this work over a sextet and you have done this quite well. The brass mix works well with the GPO library.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Very fine rendering of an excellent piece!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks guys, it also sounds good played by our brass group.

Go Back to forum