• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first composition

Share/Bookmark

My first composition

Hi,

I just finished my first composition. Just looking for some constructive criticism, to help me in the learning process

http://www.dobiedog.com/music/thechase.mp3

Thanks.

Re: My first composition

Wow.

I mean

WOW.

What a sound which took me in a scary mood at once.

The rendering is so fine that I actually did not believe it were samples. Only the high strings gave it away then.

Ah, and welcome to the forum!

Hannes

Thanks for listening Hannes! And thank you for the kind words

I agree. Great sound.

The composition has a "bits and pieces" feel to it, rather than a flow, but that's a stylistic choice. It has more of a "demo" feel than that of a taught composition. However, matched with the right picture, "a bit of this and a bit of that" could be perfect.

If this is your first composition, I can't wait to hear your second! (and third, and...)

Thumbs up Re: My first composition

Heck of a first composition!! GREAT WORK.

What samples / sequencer did you use? Just curious. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I agree. Great sound.

The composition has a "bits and pieces" feel to it, rather than a flow, but that's a stylistic choice. It has more of a "demo" feel than that of a taught composition. However, matched with the right picture, "a bit of this and a bit of that" could be perfect.

If this is your first composition, I can't wait to hear your second! (and third, and...)
    Thanks Jon

I agree, it is 'bits and pieces'. I don't know if it's noticable, but I took inspiration from John Willams ESB soundtrack. Particularly 'The asteroid field'. And for the most part I just kind of strung together some ideas into one piece

Quote Originally Posted by EmmSee
    Heck of a first composition!! GREAT WORK.

What samples / sequencer did you use? Just curious. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!

I used EW Silver XP and some VSL instruments from Kontakt 2. My sequencer at the moment is just Cakewalk music creator 3. MIDI controller is a very old kawai keyboard

I also think it is great.. Liked it alot.. Also left you a post on EastWest..Wonderful job... Joseph..

Hi flight,

I had a thought about how to make a small improvement: Some of the doubled lines sound too perfectly sync'd. Maybe you did a MIDI cut and paste? Anyway, playing the lines in separately by hand, and then tweaking only the notes where the two lines drift too far apart (or doing another take) will give a more lifelike performance.

Still, nice job...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Hi flight,

I had a thought about how to make a small improvement: Some of the doubled lines sound too perfectly sync'd. Maybe you did a MIDI cut and paste? Anyway, playing the lines in separately by hand, and then tweaking only the notes where the two lines drift too far apart (or doing another take) will give a more lifelike performance.

Still, nice job...

That's a great suggestion, I didn't even realize that . I did cut and paste, I tried doing a bit of offsetting but I can hear that it is too perfectly in sync.

Go Back to forum