• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ron Brown: Violin-Harp duets

Share/Bookmark

Ron Brown: Violin-Harp duets

A friend of mine, the Canadian composer Ronald J. Brown, wrote a couple of small violin-harp duets last year. As I am a great admirer of his music and love these eerie sounding little pieces, I decided to render them with the Stradivari and the K2 VSL Harp, mostly for my own pleasure. Ron has given me permission to post the duets here, so here they are - special for you my friends - to enjoy.

vh1 & vh2

If you enjoy them half as much as I do, you'll love them.

Re: Ron Brown: Violin-Harp duets

Hi,

how lovely pieces they are! And a very fine rendition, too!

Are that quadruple stops in 0:39 or grace notes? Quadruple stops are always a little dangerous in regards of intonation - not with the Garritan Strad of course!

This could be a perfect example how sample rendering may advance live performance. This demo makes appetite to actually play these pieces.

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Are that quadruple stops in 0:39 or grace notes?
    Thanks, Hannes.

I suppose you are referring to vh1. They are grace notes.

I think I should make one thing clear. These pieces are in no way live renderings. I got the Finale files from Ron and tweaked them further in Finale 2006 using Finale's Human Playback. And I used my G Strings script, which is responsible for a good deal of the outcome.

I really do hope somebody will get an appetite on playing them live. I'd love to hear that - I'm sure Ron would too .

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Hi,

how lovely pieces they are! And a very fine rendition, too!

Are that quadruple stops in 0:39 or grace notes? Quadruple stops are always a little dangerous in regards of intonation - not with the Garritan Strad of course!

This could be a perfect example how sample rendering may advance live performance. This demo makes appetite to actually play these pieces.

Hannes
    Since Ron is also a violinist, there's probably not too much danger of it being unplayable

Nice Pieces Nickie.

I particulalrly liked the 2nd one. I like the restraint shown with the vibrato.

The early demo's of the Strad had lots of deep vibrato and huge swooping portamenti. But I also like to hear these features handled with a little more restraint.

Very nice job with the rendering.

regards Joe

Thanks Joe.

I have never been crazy about too excessive vibrato and certainly not about swooping portamenti. It's cheap!

These two pieces - and especially the first - are of a chilling, haunted character, that - to me at least - calls for much restraint on the vibrato.

Thumbs up Re: Ron Brown: Violin-Harp duets

Thank you, Nickie, for the wonderful job you did with the rendering.

Re the playability of the violin: the fingers never forget.

The harp is another matter. I wrote this without consideration for the pedal positions so I'd probably have lots of work to do to make it into something a harpist couldwork with.

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Ron

What beauty in strangeness sometimes lies... wonderful
    writing in these, Nickie, and excellent rendering.

And one better than the last -- the second duet is
    positively entrancing.

Bravo! Both the writing, and the realizing of it.

Give my regards to Ron Brown on these.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nickie,

Very nice pieces. I agree with the rest of the thread, definately eerie, almost surreal at times. I have found that the GPO instruments work so well in solo and tight ensemble capacities myself. And you have too.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Just to make one thing crystal clear: I didn't write these pieces - wish I had, though. Ron B. did. I just turned them into sound.

And GaryBric, I don't find the GPO solo strings work well anywhere. I don't like them at all.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast