• Register
  • Help

Topic: Snare drum "effect" question

Share/Bookmark

Snare drum "effect" question

Hello everybody! Here I am with another weird question....

In many modern action film scores you can hear a lot of Snare drums. But they sound very different from every Snare sample I own... The Snare drums in those recordings very often have a very distinct sound as if you would hear ONLY the snares, but never the impact of the drumstick on the membrane. Very soft in a way, but still piercing through the mix. But it does NOT sound as if the drum were beaten by brushes...

Could anyone explain to me what I am hearing and how this is done "in real life with real instruments"? Jerry Goldsmith seemed to have loved that sound as he used it in many of his recordings.

And does anyone know of a sample library which has samples of that kind?

I tried tweaking the GPO Snare drums to sounds like it (with endless combinations of Multiband compression and/or EQ) but never achieved a result which was even vaguely similar...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: Snare drum "effect" question

I would tend to believe in how the initial recording process was achieved. I imagine one very well trained and experienced engineer could minimize the "attack" of the drum stick(s) to the point of non-existence? Possibly mic technique? Or, maybe we percussionists use soft timpani mallets.
    Styxx

some things to try, (with real drums)

it could be done by micing only the snare side of the drum and muffling the top head.
    also, you could use some softer yarn or rubber mallets to reduce the initial impact of the top head.
    or another thing to try is to use only overheads or room mics instead of a direct.
    or, maybe try tuning down the top head very low and any combination of the above.

Thanks for the replies!

Those are some very interesting suggestions! Unfortunately I hve no recording experienec so I can't tell which one of you is closer to the truth...

But I went into my CD collection and finding a few pieces with exactely the sound I hear. And guess what: Usually I hear it all the time but now I can not remember or find a really good example.

So I ripped a few tracks of 2 Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack to serve as examples of what I have in mind. The example file is patched together from a few different pieces. You can hear that special snare drum sound in all of them. Somehow nasal, the impact of the drumstick is nearly inaudible. It is more a rustling...

Here is the example file (Right-click and "Save as..", then play in any media player)
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Sorry, I just received an encripted page of gibberish accessing your link.
    Styxx

Oops, sorry! Forgot to say that you need to right-click and save it. Then play in a media player of your choice.

I did not think of it, since Firefox automatically prompts me to download.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Go Back to forum