• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Duet featuring JABB and GPO Steinways

Share/Bookmark

Piano Duet featuring JABB and GPO Steinways

I just wrote a little piano duet for one of my piano pupils.

I recorded it into Cubase, and I had the idea of assigning the tracks alternately to the JABB Steinway and then the GPO Steinway (easily done), in order to compare the sound of each. I thought this would be useful to anyone considering purchasing JABB.

So here's the result - each phrase of the duet is played alternately on a different piano. Because I'm feeling devlish, I'm not telling which piano kicks off!

"Short and Spiky (Piano Duet)"

Enjoy!
    Jon

Re: Piano Duet featuring JABB and GPO Steinways

This is quite an elegant little piece, should be a joy to play on the piano. The melody is like a catchy folk tune, which means in will be stuck in my head for a while. Nice job with this!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

What a great little workout piece, Jon! Very
    well written, and the way it feels under the
    hands is a pleasure. Your pupil should love it!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jon,

It's really neat of you to write an original work for the benefit of your students. Catchy and challanging enough to satisfy both the teacher and the student.

I have written several works for band for my daughter as she progressed through school. I have posted several of them to this forum over the past few months.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Jon,

this is a very lovely little gem. And despite it's "spiky" character the execution is very fine phrased.

If I may comment the mix ... it clips frequently from 1:15 on how can be seen regarding the waves.

But I happen to hear clipping right from the start on, I think more in the left piano. Maybe there has been an overdrive somewhere in the process?

I write this because I myself tend to overhear my own clippings since I am so busy with the musical stuff. Reading the notes and thinking about the music makes me so subjective in my hearing that I realize the clipping not before I have a finised mp3 in the Windows media player. And even then I could interpret them as a sort of "impact" and not as what they are.

I have found this tool of great use:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/

It is a freeware frequency analyser, and I set it on
    Block - 16384
    Speed - 64
    Channel - Max
    Monitor - Max or RealTime
    Peak hold - On or whatever you like

It will report any clippings - and show the frequency of the clipping, too.

Set the dB scale to 0/60 and whenever the curve hits the ceiling there will be a clipping in the signal, even if the level should be reduced in the next process step. To have some headroom you can also set the dB scale to 5/60 or 10/60.

If a clipping has occured this results in a cut wave with a flat top. Even if this wave is reduced later the program will see it (two identical values in a row) and count it. As you can see at the bottom of the program your rendering has 186 clips.

Sorry, I do not post it to offend you or anybody. It is just that this forum has given so much advice to me so I felt it would be time to give back some know-how.

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F

Sorry, I do not post it to offend you or anybody. It is just that this forum has given so much advice to me so I felt it would be time to give back some know-how.

Hannes
    That's great, Hannes. Thanks for the link. I did not know about this! Very helpful. And I not at all offended!!! I appreciate your input.
    Jon

Go Back to forum