• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intel Macs - MacBook Pro or Mac Pro?

Share/Bookmark

Intel Macs - MacBook Pro or Mac Pro?

I have been struggling for a while with older Macs, which haven't really been able to cope with the demands of large sample libraries (East West Gold/ Garritan) - and my professional work (TV and library music mostly) necessitates an upgrade.

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise on the merits and demerits of the new MacBook Pro regarding such usage, as opposed to the larger and more cumbersome Mac Pro.

My question is: can the MacBook Pro cope with the demands of professional music audio? At what point would I reach its limitations?

The programs I mainly use are: Nuendo, ProTools M-Powered, Sibelius, Kontakt 2, Ableton Live.

with thanks in advance taking the time to reply ...
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Re: Intel Macs - MacBook Pro or Mac Pro?

I am about to purchase the new MacBook Pro and talked to the sales guy about it. Though not owning it yet, I'm definately not an expert, but my intention is to use the sequencer on the MacBook drive the samples on another computer so the CPU load on the Mac won't be that much of an issue. Are you going to do something similar or are you driving all the samples from the same laptop? If that is the case, you probably won't be able to get many samples loaded with film. I was in a computer lab using a single Mac Pro computer with Digital Performer, a quicktime movie, and about 20 tracks with reverb and it was constantly missing the beat, giving error messages about audio not synced up with video. I'm not a mac expert but that was my experience. I think the samples + reverb were too much to handle for the 2 gigahertz mac pro with 1 gig ram.

The first thing that you need to know is that Nuendo doesn't run on Intel Macs except in Windows XP.

D

thanks for your replies Karelm and Daryl ... yes, I'm aware that Nuendo isn't ready yet for Intel. But I understand it will be .... (??)

As for your experience, Karelm, my main point in using a MacPro as opposed to a MacBook Pro would be the extra RAM capabilities (up to 16 gigs!). I notice that the machine you used in the computer lab only had 1 gig RAM .... which is what the Mac Pro ships with as default ..... but that may well have been the cause for the hiccups!

And yes, I will probably be using it in conjunction with other computers.

best wishes
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Nuendo 4 is scheduled for release early next year, but Cubase is coming out before this, so that could be a short term option for you. Also Sibelius 5 will be a UB but a release date hasn't yet been announced, so at the moment if you want to use either of these programs on the Intel machines you will have to run them in XP. As this situation could last for 6 months to a year you might be better off not spending the money now (unless you have to) as the cost of these machines will probably reduce and the spec will probably increase by this time next year.

D

Daryl - thanks for your sound advice (excuse the pun!) which I shall most likely follow. Am most grateful.

best wishes
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Go Back to forum