• Register
  • Help

Topic: Q: arco/pizz change in Finale/GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question Q: arco/pizz change in Finale/GPO

When you use Finale=GPO Studio=GPO, how do you change arco. and pizz. in a strigns part? I think using key switch is one method but unnecessary note appears on score which is not desireble. (I know I can hide it but still awkward.) Or using two different staffs for arco and pizz? Or in one staff, are there any way to change arco to pizz. or vice versa by just typing "arco" or "pizzicato" on the staff of Finale? Any magic symbol for it?

One more question is about glissando/portament. Is using Jazz articulation library the best way to use glissando in Finlae? How do you write glissando/portament in Finale for GPO?

BTW, I am still using Finale 2005.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Q: arco/pizz change in Finale/GPO

Jun, I know in Finale 2006 you just have to insert "arco" or "pizz" into the score as a note expression on your string part and Finale will automatically change the patch from arco to pizz and vice versa on playback. I am not familiar with Finale 2005 as I upgraded from Finale 2003, so I do not know if Finale 2005 had this capability yet, but you might at least try it.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Incidentally, I do recall in Finale 2006 the "arco" and "pizz" are already included in the list of note expressions with a command of some sort attached to them so there is more going on than simply typing in the magical words "arco" and "pizz". Unfortunately, I am not home right now and do not recall what those commands are if your particular Finale version does not have them listed already in the note expressions list. Anyone in front of their computer with Finale 2006 to be able to tell Jun the commands for this or does anyone have Finale 2005 and perform this task a different way?
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Jun,

In Finale 2006 and 2007, the keyswitches are recognized automatically by Human playback.

In 2005 you need to have the "dump" parameter assigned as the playback for each expression. The "dump" parameter triggers the keyswitch note.

I created a Finale 2005 library a while ago that had these expressions in it.
    Try this link, download this and load it into your document as a Finale library.

http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOKeySwitches.lib

This is a text file. So when loading into Finale, make sure you've chosen "all file types", not just Finale Library files.

This library should not be loaded into Finale 2006 or 2007.

Jeff

One side note on a problem I've run into with pizz. and arco
    markings.

In 2006b,2007 -- be sure you do not have any values or actions
    set in the expression... or it may not work. Check it. All that is
    needed is the word itself, pizz. or arco.

For some reason, in mine, there were values attached, and
    pizz and arco refused to work. As soon as I removed them,
    they worked perfectly.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Frodo,

Thank you very much for your advice. Finale 2005 seems not have note expression for pizz./arco.

Now reasons for me to update my Finale is being accumulated. Especially collaboration with GPO seems rapidly improving.

I used to update my sequencer (SONAR) once for four years or so, but I may need to update notation software more often

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Jun,

In Finale 2006 and 2007, the keyswitches are recognized automatically by Human playback.

In 2005 you need to have the "dump" parameter assigned as the playback for each expression. The "dump" parameter triggers the keyswitch note.

I created a Finale 2005 library a while ago that had these expressions in it.
    Try this link, download this and load it into your document as a Finale library.

http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOKeySwitches.lib

This is a text file. So when loading into Finale, make sure you've chosen "all file types", not just Finale Library files.

This library should not be loaded into Finale 2006 or 2007.

Jeff
    Jeff, thank you very much for your help.

I downloaded GPOKeySwitches.lib, fire up Finale 2005, File>Load library, select "all files", choose GPOKeySwitches.lib, and Finale says it is loaded.

Then where can I find the switches? I could not find it either in articulations or expressions? Maybe silly question but do I misunderstand something?

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

In 2006b,2007 -- be sure you do not have any values or actions
    set in the expression... or it may not work. Check it. All that is
    needed is the word itself, pizz. or arco.
    David, thank you for your remark. I take note it for later when I purchase 2006 or 2007.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    Then where can I find the switches? I could not find it either in articulations or expressions? Maybe silly question but do I misunderstand something?
    The library should have added new text expressions to the existing ones. You should see separate versions of "pizz" for example, different expressions beacuse the strings use different key switch notes.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    The library should have added new text expressions to the existing ones. You should see separate versions of "pizz" for example, different expressions beacuse the strings use different key switch notes.

Jeff
    Jeff,

My Finale 2005's last text expression is "Rehearsal Letter D". After loading GPOKeySwitches.lib, still the last one is "Rehearsal Letter D" and nothing is added. I think something went wrong because other .lib (e.g. Pitch Bend.lib) is added to the list after loading. It seems to require some more study on this problem.

Thank you.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Go Back to forum