• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Has this sequencer been created yet?! Please tell me if you know!

Share/Bookmark

Question Has this sequencer been created yet?! Please tell me if you know

Does anyone know of a sequencing program that allows you to turn OFF master effects (reverb) on audio tracks, but simultaneously keep master effects turned ON on MIDI tracks? Or better yet...is there any sequencing program that allows you to turn ON master effects (reverb) on certain MIDI tracks, yet simultaneously turn them OFF on other MIDI tracks?

The reason I ask is I have certain libraries which were recorded with lots of inherent reverb and others like GPO which were recorded dry. Is there any way possible to be able to hear both of them simultaneously (with sufficient reverb added ONLY to my dry sample MIDI tracks) WHILE I'm creating my MIDI tracks--rather than having to wait until AFTER I've bounced them to audio?

If such a sequencing animal exists out there please let me know! My current sequencing program is an older version of Cubase (VST 5.0) and as far as I know it does not have this elusive, miraculous capability. Thanks!
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Has this sequencer been created yet?! Please tell me if you know!

For GPO, there is a download called Ambience. What this does is that it creates realistic reverbs for GPO sounds. This works withing GPO Studio, which both of these can be downloaded from this site. Even though the GPO sounds were recorded dry, using the Wet sounds provided with GPO will work in Ambience and you can modify the reverb as needed. ...And I've just managed to confuse myself...
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Question Re: Has this sequencer been created yet?! Please tell me if you know!

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    For GPO, there is a download called Ambience. What this does is that it creates realistic reverbs for GPO sounds. This works withing GPO Studio, which both of these can be downloaded from this site. Even though the GPO sounds were recorded dry, using the Wet sounds provided with GPO will work in Ambience and you can modify the reverb as needed. ...And I've just managed to confuse myself...
    Hi CJ Pro, thanks for the reply to my post. I'm a bit confused. I currently use GPO as a VST plug-in in Cubase and I do use the Garritan Ambience reverb as a master or send effect. I'm not too familiar with "GPO Studio"? Do you mean there is a way to route my Garritan dry sounds with the Garritan Ambience reverb ALREADY ATTACHED to the samples into my Cubase sequencer some sort of way from the GPO Studio application so they already have reverb on them when I record them onto midi tracks?
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

I just quickly did this (had very little idea of what the heck I was doing so I may not have the full needed vocabulary) to demonstrate Ambience.

http://media.putfile.com/GarritanReverb

For full size, select the number 640 from the drop-down right below the video.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hi CJ Pro,
    That's a lovely little tutorial - thanks for doing it. Very informative.

May I ask how you made the video? What software and hardware did you use to record the video and audio?
    Thanks
    Jon

The video was extremely easy to make. I have a program called CamStudio that allows me to capture a screencast (You'll have seen it several times in the video as I didn't hide it that well). You can find CamStudio on Google (it's hosted on sourceforge). I told it to record from my Samson C03U microphone. Also, use the lossless codec to do videos like this. I then took it and ran it through Windows Movie Maker to compress it down to 21 MB (original AVI file was roughly 1/4 of a GB). It may seem a little complicated, but it is extremely fun to do once you have it down. Only problem I had with this video was clearing the room of my family so I could get some silence in the background.

I used to use Adobe Premiere Pro Demos instead of Windows Movie Maker but I had to make videos quickly (darn 30 day trial periods...). I'm going to start editing them in iMovie in the future, as soon as my Mac is reconnected back into the network.

Edit - I realized I contradicted myself in this post. For a little fun, see if you can find the contradiction.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Frodo,

Within cubase, you probably have to tell the midi tracks where to play through, right? Instead of using the reverb as a master effect... only use it on the aux track playing Garritian. Then mix to taste... or to match the samplers that were wet already. Just to make sure, do VSTi channels have an effects send? Save your master channel for effects on the over all mix. Like an EQ which might help mask the fact that your samples came from multiple sources. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Hi CJ Pro -

Thanks for the info!! I'll look into it.

Contradiction - is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    The video was extremely easy to make. ... blah blah.... It may seem a little complicated, but it is.......
    Thanks again
    Jon

Did you use Windows Movie Maker or not?
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

I did for this. It sucks, but at least it cut the size by 90%!
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum