• Register
  • Help

Topic: Searching for string harmonics and effects...

Share/Bookmark

Searching for string harmonics and effects...

Hello everyone!

After nearly 11 months of work I am nearing the end of my first orchestration pass of my "Valse traqigue" (now only a few more passes, then proof-reading, score-preparation, ...). The little sucker developed into a 11-minute orchestral tour de force in 3/4-time. Since that is nearing completion, I started pondering about which samples to use in rendering the whole thing in Cubase.

Here comes the problem: The thing requires a bunch of playing techniques like string harmonics, octave and multi-octave string glissandos, etc...

I got everything else more or less covered but don't have any samples for these techniques. Now I would like to get some help from my favorite forum community:

* Do you know a cheap (!!) way to get hold of the abovementioned string samples? Any library?

* Do you know a library that features controllable multi-octave glissandos? It annoys me to no end that NOBODY came up with a way to create that, yet... Tom Hopkins, your genius is needed to invent this!

* Do you know if GPOA will feature at least the harmonics, so I can try to wait one or two years until it comes out?

* Do you know if GPOA will have controllable string glissandos?

* Additionally that piece requires the use of various mutes for the brass insturments. Do you know if GPOA features those, or will I just have to improvise and use the JABB-muted instruments?

Thanks in advance for your input, guys! All the best..
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: Searching for string harmonics and effects...

I must be doing something wrong. It's like "in real life": Everybody gets answers, except for me...

Are my questions really that hard to answer? I would be happy about the tiniest input!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

All I know for sure is that GPOA will include string harmonics, as well as other string special effects, because it's been mentioned on this forum. As for your other questions, I haven't a clue.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thank you for the reply!

I couldn't remember about the GPOA string stuff from the top of my head. But now that you told me I think I start to remember. Now if only we had a guesstimate of the release date...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

As long as it is just one violin I could record your passage. Simple.

Hannes

My god, that would be soooo great!!!!! You really could do that?!!?!? There are a few solo Violin passages in that Valse. Could I really ask that from you? That would absolutely make my day... (Imagine me jumping around because of the joy of that thought)

Can I contact you per mail or PM?
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Peter,

sure, you can reach me at hannes @ nospam frischat.de. Remove all spaces and the nospam.

Hannes

Go Back to forum