• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Vague but exciting news regarding GVI...

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Vague but exciting news regarding GVI...

A little multisampled bird told me that GVI is expected (hoped?) to ship in the first week of September. I believe that they are in the final phase of "mastering," and will be shipping their new baby off for "production" real real real real soon (if not already)...

GVI *will* come bundled with new sounds, and new libraries *are* being developed to complement GVI by a number of top-notch developers... I've only seen mention of one such developer online ( http://www.sonivoxmi.com/Muse.asp ), but my appetite has been nicely whetted...

TASCAM isn't oblivious to Kontakt's ascendency (not to mention the recent spate of NI engine-based standalone instruments), and hopes to reassert Giga's once-great name in the eyes of those who now doubt it (or, as I do, fear it -- LOL).

The idea here is to invoke the "rising of the Phoenix" and I, for one, hope that they pull it off.

I don't work for TASCAM, but I've gotten myself "permanently aligned" with Giga by virtue of the libraries that I've already purchased. I certainly don't want it to go the way of the Dodo.

Of course, all consumers will benefit as long as competition between well-matched contenders continues to spur on new development and improvements.

Speaking of which, I cannot stress how much I hope hope hope hope hope that TASCAM pushes its iMIDI rules onto developers as a viable alternative to K2 scripting -- and, of course, provides developers with whatever tools they need to take full advantage of Giga/GVI's capabilities when compiling their libraries.

These will hopefully be interesting (in a good way) times for sample-based musics and musicians!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: Vague but exciting news regarding GVI...

Wow! I mean, wow!

alanb

You deliver a ray of sunshine in my clouded skies. I am committed to Giga as you are. Hope springs infernal...

tony

Awesome! Been waiting for this for some time and will gladly shell out the 50 upgrade bucks.

FYI - Tim Smith's new modular series instruments all use iMIDI for legato.

www.westgatestudios.com

Best,
    Jay

Good News. I've been hoping that GVI would be out soon and the info above certainly helps my frame of mind in that regard. I also hope that it works well with Sonar.

D.M.

Another happy chappy here :-)

Thanks for the good news alanb

This is probably discussed somewhere but,..

will it be possible to have this GVI and the full GS version on the same system?
    and use GVI for some things and full GS when the need arises ?

Peter

We are planning on having GVI versions of our new libraries. Which brings up an interesting point. With GVI anyone with a PC can use the library but this seems to render GS3 obsolete at least for new libraries anyway. Do we still need to offer GS3 versions as well?
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

While I don't know for sure, but I believe the GVi will be very limited in it's editing, more like the "quick edit" functions in GS rather that full GS editor? again this remains to be seen.

also, GVI is only 1 port (16 midi channels) which may be too limiting for bigger scores.

I hope it doesn't make full GS obsolete,..I just paid $500 for it !

PM

Quote Originally Posted by timzydee
    We are planning on having GVI versions of our new libraries. Which brings up an interesting point. With GVI anyone with a PC can use the library but this seems to render GS3 obsolete at least for new libraries anyway. Do we still need to offer GS3 versions as well?
    Do you mean to say that the two formats will not be one and the same? Are instruments from .gig files, .gsi's and .gsp's not compatible with GVI? I realize the GVI does not have any DSP mixer, so I can see there being no .gsp's (the "performances" would simply be saved within the project, or as presets in GVI), but what about all the .gig's I've bought/created/edited the crap out of, and the stacked instruments that I've painstakingly created to make template creation and editing more manageable? Are they useless to me without some kind of conversion or site license to an alternate format?

Belbin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast