• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Has this ever happened to anyone ??

Share/Bookmark

Question Has this ever happened to anyone ??

BSOD - INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT

I've had this happening for about a month and I can't figure it out. If I try to import or overwrite any audio (usually a wav) file over 5MB into Cubase SX3, I crash to BSOD. Never had this problem until a month ago. I just (as of today) updated to 3.1.1.944 so it has nothing to do with Cubase I assume because I'm still crashing. Can any of you computer savvy guys help me out with this? It's got to be a Windows thing... I've googled the error and all I get is bunch of technical jargain explaining what might have caused the error.

Hardware -

Motherboard - ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE CANTERWOOD
    Processor - Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Prescott 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478
    RAM - (2) Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200
    Videocard - VGA ATIOEM|RADEON 9200SE 128M DDRTV
    Audio Interface - Echo MIA MIDI Digital Audio and MIDI Card
    C:/ (1) 80GB Seagate HD - OS & other crap
    D:/ (1) 120GB Seagate HD - Samples
    E:/ DVD Drive - LITE-ON SOHW812S 8X DVD+-R/RW
    Case - Antec Sonata. Piano black finish (that's at least what one of my co-workers called it).
    Cheap monitor. Forgot the brand but I've got that all important warranty!!!

Software -

Windows XP Pro SP2
    GigaStudio Orchestra 3.04
    Cubase SX3 3.1.1.944
    VSL Performance Tool

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone ??

Quote Originally Posted by MayorPeete
    BSOD - INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT

Does it provide more info than this?

You might try going into your BIOS and slow down the CPU and memory timings. All it takes is for one instruction/location to get garbled, and you'll get random stuff like this. Also, is your power supply up to snuff? Is everything running cool?

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    Does it provide more info than this?
    It does. I'd type it up but I broke my arm the other day and I'm in a cast. I'm typing this response lefty and it's taking forever ...

I did a little more research and found that the anti-virus software that I have (had) may have corrupted my HTTP.SYS and that's what could be causing this to happen.

Could I simply swap the HTTP.SYS from my start-up disk with this corrupt one or am I in for a full system reinstall? It can't be that easy.

Thanks for responding

It does. I'd type it up but I broke my arm the other day and I'm in a cast. I'm typing this response lefty and it's taking forever ...

I did a little more research and found that the anti-virus software that I have (had) may have corrupted my HTTP.SYS and that's what could be causing this to happen.

Could I simply swap the HTTP.SYS from my start-up disk with this corrupt one or am I in for a full system reinstall? It can't be that easy.

Thanks for responding
    I'd try the swap ... seems you've got little to loose.

Drive Imaging software is highly recommended at this point me thinks.
    ~ If ~ you could image your OS partition you could then
    try replacing the HTTP.SYS as you imagined and if it didn't work, you could restore the image and be back to where you are.

You could try a repair install, meaning install overtop of what you have there now. Not as good as a clean install in my opinion but much faster.

Also, once you get your system back to normal, you can image it and always have a quick fix for any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    I'd try the swap ... seems you've got little to loose.

Drive Imaging software is highly recommended at this point me thinks.
    ~ If ~ you could image your OS partition you could then
    try replacing the HTTP.SYS as you imagined and if it didn't work, you could restore the image and be back to where you are.

You could try a repair install, meaning install overtop of what you have there now. Not as good as a clean install in my opinion but much faster.

Also, once you get your system back to normal, you can image it and always have a quick fix for any problems.
    Whoa... You just got scary technical (for me anyway).

Looks like I may have to call the Geek Squad Good thing I didn't try anything yet. I might have screwed myself worse than I'm already screwed.

Thanks for the info Steve_Karl

Whoa... You just got scary technical (for me anyway).

Looks like I may have to call the Geek Squad Good thing I didn't try anything yet. I might have screwed myself worse than I'm already screwed.

Thanks for the info Steve_Karl
    Hey .. I'll simplify. You could very easily put your XP CD in the drive and just reinstall right over top of the old install.
    That will probably fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Hey .. I'll simplify. You could very easily put your XP CD in the drive and just reinstall right over top of the old install.
    That will probably fix everything.
    Back from a little vacation...

So Steve, I've never done a reinstall before. Will I have to reinstall everything else too?

Back from a little vacation...

So Steve, I've never done a reinstall before. Will I have to reinstall everything else too?
    No. A "repair install" will just install the OS and keep all of your programs etc.
    It's not how I would do it as it's not as clean ( in my opinion ) as starting over with a clean partition, but it's definantely faster.

Of course, there's no quarantee that it will work.

Steve

Steve, thanks for your help man. I will reluctantly give this a shot tomorrow.

Pray for me

Go Back to forum