• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Music from Jerry Gerber

Share/Bookmark

New Music from Jerry Gerber

www.jerrygerber.com/excerpts.htm

I am reposting this page of excerpts for those who wish to hear what I am doing these days with the virtual orchestra. I've decided that the term "virtual orchestra" is a bit problematic, it really points to the limits of language when describing new tools, methods and technologies. The dictionary has two distinct meanings for the word "symphonic", here they are:

1. of or like musical symphony: relating to, involving, or typical of a musical
    symphony, or resembling one in form or content
    2. harmonious: harmonious in sound, color, or composition

My own usage of the word is really the 2nd definition rather than the 1st. We should sponsor a contest to come up with a better term than "virtual orchestra". The modern electronic music studio is a complex musical instrument in itself--computers, software, audio equipment, all interconnected and synchronized, this is the musical instrument, and it has little do do with a traditional orchestra!

Jerry

Re: New Music from Jerry Gerber

Amazing work, Jerry!

Didn't get a chance to listen to everything, but I especially liked your "Farewell to Vilnius"!

Fantastic!!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Amazing work, Jerry!

Didn't get a chance to listen to everything, but I especially liked your "Farewell to Vilnius"!

Fantastic!!

~Jeff

Hmm, I didn't post that piece, you must of heard just a part of it somewhere else...

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerrygerber
    www.jerrygerber.com/excerpts.htm

I am reposting this page of excerpts for those who wish to hear what I am doing these days with the virtual orchestra. I've decided that the term "virtual orchestra" is a bit problematic, it really points to the limits of language when describing new tools, methods and technologies. The dictionary has two distinct meanings for the word "symphonic", here they are:

1. of or like musical symphony: relating to, involving, or typical of a musical
    symphony, or resembling one in form or content
    2. harmonious: harmonious in sound, color, or composition

My own usage of the word is really the 2nd definition rather than the 1st. We should sponsor a contest to come up with a better term than "virtual orchestra". The modern electronic music studio is a complex musical instrument in itself--computers, software, audio equipment, all interconnected and synchronized, this is the musical instrument, and it has little do do with a traditional orchestra!

Jerry
    The second one is so generic that it can even apply to the term "music" itself, anyway when it's about music I think words are useless : I really liked the first mvt of your 6 th symphony, the combination of different styles works actually wery well.

The music is naturally flowing and displays a great energy.

Congratulations for writing long and elaborate pieces : I also think that structure and composition problems are more important than the endless quest for the perfect sound.

Very good and interesting stuff Jerry... Thanks for putting up so we can hear...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    I also think that structure and composition problems are more important than the endless quest for the perfect sound.
    Hmm, do you think I said I thought that structure and composition problems are more important than the quest for the perfect sound? If that is what you thought I meant, I think there is a misunderstanding.

Hello Sicmu--
    Composition and structural problems are as important as finding the best and right timbre and articulation for the given musical phase, motive, etc. The former skills are more abstract, creative skills, the latter skills are more about sound, about interpretation, about deep listening and infusing music with expression. Music cannot be all things to everyone, but to the the musician working in this medium, creation and interpretation are inextricably linked.

Jerry Gerber
    www.jerrygerber.com

Go Back to forum