• Register
  • Help

Topic: My attempts at composing for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

My attempts at composing for orchestra

I am new to this forum, and also fairly new to music composition. I just started seriously composing for orchestra about a year ago. I have not had nearly as much musical training as I would have liked, and with my knowledge of theory, perhaps I shouldn't even try. I guess I just love it too much! So without further ado, here are several pieces I have composed. Most were from soundtracks I did for short films for people in another community.

A suite from a film called "Edison":
    http://postbrickfilms.com/desdichado...0-%20Suite.mp3

End Credits from a film called "To Strive for Fame":
    http://postbrickfilms.com/desdichado...%20Credits.mp3

Here is a spoof I did for fun of Hans Zimmer's Batman Begins Score:
    http://postbrickfilms.com/desdichado...an%20Spoof.mp3

And a little diddy I whipped up for a contest, in which I had to use the the children's song, "Sing a Song of Sixpence":
    http://www.postbrickfilms.com/desdic...ix%20Pence.mp3

This is my latest work, a very short piece for a trailer:
    http://www.postbrickfilms.com/desdic...iles/March.mp3

I would appreciate any tips or advice you might have for me. I joined this forum to learn from you guys. Thanks in advance,

-Joseph

P.S. All these demos where written in Finale 2006 using the included sample library. I never got around to upgrading to the full GPO. Most were mixed either in Cool Edit Pro, or Cubase SX 3. I am a very notation-oriented composer.

Re: My attempts at composing for orchestra

Joseph,

Geee you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. These are really fine works that you have posted here, really solid and honest music. Not to mention good orchestration and use of the GPO in my humble opinion.

I am a completely notion bound arranger/composer using Finale 2006 along with GPO and JABB and have posted a number of works here in the forum.

Please continue to post your works for use to hear and enjoy.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Welcome to the forum, Joseph!

And as Gary said, I hereby require you to stop
    knocking yourself down. It's unwarranted.

What I hear in these pieces is quite a lot of good work,
    really -- strong ideas, firm execution, a good grasp of
    rendering, and a great deal of potential.

May I give you the same advice I give myself, every day,
    even after many decades:

Keep working. Keep learning. Keep writing.

It's what all good writers do. There is much promise, here,
    Joseph -- and I look forward to hearing much, much more
    from you!

With best regards,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow, thanks for the encouragement! I really don't mean to beat myself up, it's just the way I am. I just can't stand it when someone hypes up their work, and it turns out to be just trash or something. But maybe in avoiding that attitude, I go to the other extreme.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the encouragement. I'll definately be posting some more music here very soon. I work full time, but I have a whole lot of freetime, and a good laptop, so I can write music all day if I want to.

I am open to any criticism you might have. How is my reverb for the most part? I stink at mixing music. I can never it to sound "big" enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephF
    Wow, thanks for the encouragement! I really don't mean to beat myself up, it's just the way I am. I just can't stand it when someone hypes up their work, and it turns out to be just trash or something. But maybe in avoiding that attitude, I go to the other extreme.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the encouragement. I'll definately be posting some more music here very soon. I work full time, but I have a whole lot of freetime, and a good laptop, so I can write music all day if I want to.

I am open to any criticism you might have. How is my reverb for the most part? I stink at mixing music. I can never it to sound "big" enough.
    Attitude is everything, they say. I don't know about that;
    but a positive one sure helps grease the bearings.

Lol... not too much too fast, though. One step at a time --
    rendering is an artform of itself, and like mastering a musical
    instrument, it takes practice and effort and perseverance.

Joseph, may I suggest next time -- post just a single piece
    in a thread, so we can focus better on specifics. With a
    number of pieces like this, it's hard to comment without
    confusion amongst them.

Rest easy, though, Joseph. You're well on the way.

First rule: Listen! Let your ears tell you what is right, and
    what is wrong. In the end, the ear is the ultimate arbiter,
    and what the ear says is right... is right.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Joseph,

You're killin' me, dude!! I have been writing orchestral stuff for about a year, as well. From what I heard here, you're further along than me in several areas. I do not think that I suck... so if your further along in areas... that means that you do not suck. If you do, then I do, even more so as a matter of fact. For a laugh, go check out some of my early posts here!! LOL Good Lord, some of those are real stinkers. Listen to everything people post here, and you will gain a lot of knowledge just from all the different styles that show up. I am amazed every time I log on!

Welcome to the fold!!! Or as etLux called it in another thread, Garritania!
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Go Back to forum