• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    357

    2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Howdy. First off, I really like the way this sounds. At least the upper register down to the upper part of the lower register. The very last octave sounds a bit weak, like it's lacking some bottom end (ok, can add some eq) and some punch. So, question #1 is: has anyone else noticed this?

    Secondly, I made a multi in K2 using all three mic positions. Now, I know that constitutes a hell of a lot of samples, but the multi takes literally 10 minutes to load. I am not expecting it to load in under a minute, but this seems like too long a period of time. Other EWQL multis using all three mic positions and all 16 channels, take under 2 minutes to load, and this multi is only one midi channel. I know I don't have the fastest processor, but is that just the way that it is, or is there something I am missing here?

    Thanks much in advance.

  2. #2

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    Secondly, I made a multi in K2 using all three mic positions.
    Why would you wanna do that? Isn't that gonna give you all kinds of phase cancellation issues? Maybe this could explain the "weak" low end...
    As far as loading times, keep in mind this multi has to buffer 144 samples PER KEY, so that is gonna take a while. Did you defrag the drive before installing BG?

    matto

  3. #3

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Check out this thread:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43776
    Also re: velocity to volume consistency, - some of the samplegroups volumes have a 6dB gap. Putting everything at -6dB fixes this (except release groups which may have different settings for a reason).

  4. #4

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by hywyn
    That's a great thread, not sure how it relates to the OP's questions though...
    Also re: velocity to volume consistency, - some of the samplegroups volumes have a 6dB gap. Putting everything at -6dB fixes this (except release groups which may have different settings for a reason).
    An update which fixes this has been available for quite a while now.
    http://www.sampletekk.com/updates.php

  5. #5

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    One Black Grand problem that hasn't been fixed yet is the release samples - they should only trigger on pedal-up samples but they incorrectly trigger on pedal-down samples as well. This is very evident if you strike a chord with the pedal down and quickly release the pedal.

    I think this is due to a K2 bug. One workaround is to move the pedal-down groups into their own instrument. Anyone who knows of a better solution?

  6. #6

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by matto
    An update which fixes this has been available for quite a while now.
    http://www.sampletekk.com/updates.php
    I never did figure out what to do with the .wav files that I found when I unzipped/unrarred the two TBO updates. . . .

    Any pointers? Thanks!
    — alanb

    ...........................

    http://alanb.org

    http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    357

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by matto
    Why would you wanna do that? Isn't that gonna give you all kinds of phase cancellation issues? Maybe this could explain the "weak" low end...
    No - there are no phase cancellation issues; the "weakness" I hear is not only present on all three simultaneous positions, but on the individual patches as well. As far as why i want to do this - is for ambience. Same reason I like EWQL.

    Cheers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    310

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    One Black Grand problem that hasn't been fixed yet is the release samples - they should only trigger on pedal-up samples but they incorrectly trigger on pedal-down samples as well. This is very evident if you strike a chord with the pedal down and quickly release the pedal.

    I think this is due to a K2 bug. One workaround is to move the pedal-down groups into their own instrument. Anyone who knows of a better solution?
    2 other solutions :
    1/ Move release samples in their own groups...
    It's a bit better if you want to use scripts in a PU + PD instrument.
    2/ Get rid of release samples and use a good Piano PU convolution reverb (if you find one you like)

    BTW, the K2 bugs is worse than what you describe.
    Having releases samples triggered on pedal-down samples when pedal is released is not a big problem if the volume is right.
    But K2 is resetting all release trigger timers on the last played note, making the release sound much louder. I don't know is this has been solved in 2.1.

  9. #9

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    2 other solutions :
    1/ Move release samples in their own groups...
    It's a bit better if you want to use scripts in a PU + PD instrument.
    Hi Laurent,
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. The release samples already have their own groups, right?
    Btw. thank you very much for the velocity/volume rescaling you posted - I use that a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    BTW, the K2 bugs is worse than what you describe.
    Having releases samples triggered on pedal-down samples when pedal is released is not a big problem if the volume is right.
    But K2 is resetting all release trigger timers on the last played note, making the release sound much louder. I don't know is this has been solved in 2.1.
    I had not heard of this problem before. I tried to reproduce it by playing a long note, then a staccato note and then release the long note to hear if the release sample was louder than normal, but I didn't hear the problem (using the latest Kontakt version). Maybe there's a better way to test it. Speaking of bugs, another troubling K2 bug is the one that causes a note that has been played 20 times during pedal-down to trigger 20 simultaneous release samples on release of the pedal.

    Nils

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    310

    Re: 2 Sampletekk Black Grand questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    Hi Laurent,
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. The release samples already have their own groups, right?
    Sorry, I mean moving releases samples in a separate instrument and keeping PU+PD samples in one instrument.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •