• Register
  • Help

Topic: Big problem with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Big problem with GPO

Ok. I have a big problem with my GPO. So, I open up Garritan Personal Orchestra and I get that keyboard display. Then I load an instrument, any old instrument, into the one of the slots and the range of the instrument is highlighted. This is where my problem comes in. I gather (or guess) that when you press the keys in that highlighted range, you should hear the instrument playing a note. But I don't hear anything. I'm not some audio pro so I have no idea what is wrong. What's wrong?

Re: Big problem with GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Ok. I have a big problem with my GPO. So, I open up Garritan Personal Orchestra and I get that keyboard display. Then I load an instrument, any old instrument, into the one of the slots and the range of the instrument is highlighted. This is where my problem comes in. I gather (or guess) that when you press the keys in that highlighted range, you should hear the instrument playing a note. But I don't hear anything. I'm not some audio pro so I have no idea what is wrong. What's wrong?
    Turn up the mod wheel.

Ok, I did that, which was probably part of the problem because it was turned to the very bottom. But I still don't hear anything.

Are you using the stand alone? Don't forget File | Setup.

Do you get any visual activity, when you press a key?

I don't understand what you mean when you say: "Are you using the stand alone? Don't forget File | Setup."
    Also, when I press the key, it does go down, but aside from that, I don't know what else happens (or is supposed to happen, I guess).

The standalone version is the one, that does not open as a plugin inside a sequencer or notation program. In the upper left corner, there is a menu called "File". It has a submenu called "Setup". Here you set up the programs input/output configuration. Especially "Soundcard" and "Routing" is what you should be concerned about. In the "Routing" tab, the first two "Garritan Personal Orchestra" lines should be set to "1: Wave" & "2: Wave".

When you play a note, you should see some (green) activity in the volume meter (column right of the knobs).

Ok, well now actual sound (with green and yellow bars) is being produced but really weird sounds. They're kind of like rumble that bears little resemblance to the instrument they're supposed to.

Also, I am trying to use it with Finale 2006, so the VST plugin is in the Finale 2006 VST Plugins folder. (I guess that answers the stand alone thing). And I checked the "routing" tab in the setup and I do have Wave 1 and 2.
    But, I'm just and amateur so I'm kind of boggled by all the drop down lists in the "soundcard" tab like interface, sample rate, output device, and output latency.

I'm so frustrated. I thought my GPO was working; after some fiddling I got it to work. Now, I have another problem. Every time I open up GPO I get a message that says exactly this:

Could not open MME output device!
    MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and then try again.

I don't get this; no other program is open.

When I go into Setup under the "soundcard" tab. I have two options for an output device: DirectSound and MultiMedia. The only one I have had some success on was the MultiMedia one, but now it produces that message.

Go Back to forum