• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Sibelius part extraction: 3.x vs. 4.x

Share/Bookmark

OT - Sibelius part extraction: 3.x vs. 4.x

Copying parts is a drag! Even with the magic of Sibelius, cleanup is TONS of work for someone as anal as I am. I'm using version 3, and was thinking of upgrading to 4, since I've heard they've improved extraction.

Anyone here with any first-hand experience extracting in 3 and 4 and can recommend the upgrade based on this aspect?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: OT - Sibelius part extraction: 3.x vs. 4.x

If you are talking about part extraction, then do the upgrade. Sibelius 4 allows you to dynamically modify each part by selecting it from a drop down menu and then being able to go back into the score and changing other parts. It's a whole lot quicker than doing the same thing in Sibelius 3.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Jamie,

As you well know, no program will give you perfect parts, just the way you want them, with no tweaking. That said, the Dynamic Parts is a real headache-avoider: anything you change in the score immediately changes in the part, and vice versa. No more of that "but don't you have a b-flat in bar 62? That's what I have in the score."

Download the demo and give it a spin.

Ron

I switched from Finale to Sibelius about 6 months ago and hav never looked back. The major reason for changing was the dynamic parts. So long part extraction! If you set up a template before hand, there is virtually no editing to be done on parts. (Of course there is always something that is not in the right place. LOL)

Go for the upgrade...you'll thank yourself for it.

Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Thanks for the help, all. I'll do the upgrade as soon as this piece is out the door.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I also believe that the dynamic parts function in Sib 4 made my life easier!

I'm a long-time Finale user who switched to Sibelius version 3 mainly out of curiosity. I used both Finale and Sibelius for about a year (Sibelius when I had time to experiment and learn new features, Finale when I needed to get something done quickly with software I already new).

Then v4 came out and the Dynamic Part Extraction was the nail in Finale's coffin. I love Finale but this is the one feature that I have been waiting YEARS for.

I haven't thrown anything massive at it yet, so I don't know how it handles under pressure, but so far it seems extremely useful. I'm sure there will be quirks and errors to tweak, but I'm sure the time savings will more than make up for them.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Copying parts is a drag! Even with the magic of Sibelius, cleanup is TONS of work for someone as anal as I am. I'm using version 3, and was thinking of upgrading to 4, since I've heard they've improved extraction.

Anyone here with any first-hand experience extracting in 3 and 4 and can recommend the upgrade based on this aspect?
    The Part extraction feature is most excellent. I also use it a lot to focus on a single part instead of the focus on staff feature. Very highly recommended.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Go Back to forum