• Register
  • Help

Topic: Has anybody gotten Finale 2007 yet?

Share/Bookmark

Has anybody gotten Finale 2007 yet?

Hello everybody,

I was thinking about getting 2007. I own an old version of Finale, and I will get an academic discount. Is it worth the money? Does the kontakt 2 player have more control over the instruments than the old player? Would Sibileus give me as good of a deal as Finale? Finale is asking $225. I know that it is a matter of taste between Finale and Sibileus. Finale 2007 will apparently sync up with film clips... will Sibileus do the same?

Anyway, I do not want anyone's opinion of which is better... just the facts, man! I think it really boils down to the features. Which has more to offer. The college, I will be attending, has Sibileus on their music computers, but I have no issue using the competition's software. LOL

Thanks,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Re: Has anybody gotten Finale 2007 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    Hello everybody,

I was thinking about getting 2007. I own an old version of Finale, and I will get an academic discount. Is it worth the money? Does the kontakt 2 player have more control over the instruments than the old player? Would Sibileus give me as good of a deal as Finale? Finale is asking $225. I know that it is a matter of taste between Finale and Sibileus. Finale 2007 will apparently sync up with film clips... will Sibileus do the same?

Anyway, I do not want anyone's opinion of which is better... just the facts, man! I think it really boils down to the features. Which has more to offer. The college, I will be attending, has Sibileus on their music computers, but I have no issue using the competition's software. LOL

Thanks,
    I just upgraded to Finale 2007. So far I like what I see. The Human Playback configurability looks really nice. I haven't had a chance to try the video sync yet. My number one reason for using Finale is the great integration with GPO and J&BB

Kontakt 2 player is only for Finale GPO, not full GPO... so far, I haven't even tried it.

I think at this point, both applications have pretty similar features (including video sync). Your decision should probably depend on your comfort with using the program, whichever is easier for you. Since you've used Finale before, that may be the way to go. But likewise, since your college uses Sibelius, you may become much more familiar with that. It really just seems to be a personal preference issue.

If you currently own a (legitimate) copy of Finale, I think you should be able to get a better upgrade price than that. Did they just quote you the academic discount?

Also, if you decide to go with Sibelius, you can get their crossgrade price. I think that pretty much any (legitimate) version of Finale qualifies you for that. But they may want your original software.

tfish,

When I said that I had an old version... I meant an old version. Finale Guitar 2003. So the price quote was both the academic price ($350, I think) and the trade up value on my program. LOL If I could get a better price through begging... I'd be begging! LOL

I have had Finale Guitar loaded up for so long... I'm not sure if I can find the old CD for it or not.

Thanks for the info,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    tfish,

When I said that I had an old version... I meant an old version. Finale Guitar 2003.
    I remember trying out Finale 1.0 circa 1988. It revolutionized the music publishing/printing industry in Nashville, and sold an awful lot of Macintoshes.

I don't feel that old...

I have it. I really think this is THE upgrade to get. I have been experimenting with it for the past two days, trying out the new features, syncing to video, etc.
    But the cool thing about 2007 is that most of the newest features are actually needed and useable!! Time-saving steps that actually IMPROVE your workflow. There are many features designed to end the repetition of versions past.

Full GPO will work just fine with 2007. You just select GPO's player rather than Finale's player.

Human Playback has improved dramatically since 2004 (my previous version).

I still wish MIDI tool had been improved (adding a pencil to draw in data would be a welcome thing.)

But otherwise, it is a VERY cool upgrade.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum