• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Lady In The Water - good movie, but what's with the boom mic?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Lady In The Water - good movie, but what's with the boom mic?

Ok, so on my birthday i saw Lady In the Water...i'm a fan of m. night's movies - yeah, for whatever reason critics like to tear into him - i guess he doesn't put enough , violence, and profanity in his films...but in this film the boom mic was visible in MANY of the scenes...i saw it so much i thought it had something to do with the story...i did some investigating and found that i could have been a victim of a bad projectionist...although, i'm able to find lots of people on the internet talking about it as well - but i haven't found a major review that mentions it...so, either the visible mic is part of the movie and the critics knew it, or there's an epidemic of incompetent projectionists - OR the film was shot incorrectly...or just maybe the size/ratio was mislabled on the copies that the theaters received, causing the projectionists to mask the wrong parts...???

perplexing...input?

Re: OT: Lady In The Water - good movie, but what's with the boom mic?

I've got to say I'm rather obsessive about noticing that sort of thing, and I didn't see any problems with the film.

As well, it surprises me, as I know M. Night is also rather obsiessive about details. I'd be very surprised if he let that sort of thing show in one of his films, especially considering how easy it would be to hide them with a bit of fx.

I'm also one of those who loves his films, despite all the others hating on them. But then, I absolutely loved Alien3 as well, which seems to be universally detested by Alien fans.

Haven't seen this one yet. I have mixed feelings on his movies.

The Sixth Sense - very good
    Unbreakable - great
    Signs - never saw it
    The Village - not so good

The first time I saw "Pleasantville" in the theater there was a technical glitch and they had to stop and adjust the projector. Afterwards the picture was not framed correctly somehow and we could see all the way to the top of the film frame, where boom mics were often visible as well as the top of the set walls.

It was fun. It made the surreal ambience of the film even more so...

My day job is freelance location recording and it seems it could be a formatting ratio issue. Haven't seen it yet (the movie not the mic). The problem is Pretty easy to fix in post if production doesn't scream about it on location.
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    I haven't seen it yet, but I thought I was doing a pretty good job of keeping the boom/mic out of each shot. M. Night praised my work during the shoot, but maybe I have something to learn.

Ern
    I'm sorry it is probably my fault, your camera work was perfect and you shouldn't have to worry about the periphery. Now i know what those hand signals probably meant they were telling me to raise the boom not lower it... and maybe that guy behind me really didn't think i was some guy he knew named Mike, afterall.

Go Back to forum