• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piracy Killing PC Gaming, Leading Game Designer Says

Share/Bookmark

Piracy Killing PC Gaming, Leading Game Designer Says

Id's Kevin Cloud Says Piracy is Killing PC Gaming

During a QuakeCon Q&A panel, Kevin Cloud, co-owner of Id and exec producer on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, responded to a question about PC games disappearing from retailer's shelves by saying that piracy was "killing PC games."
    "It's the primary reason retailers are moving to the console," Cloud said, continuing on to say that ways to reduce piracy are in the forefront of every PC developer's mind, and citing World of Warcraft's subscription-based nature as an example of a possible solution to the problem.

Id CEO Todd Hollenshead went on to theorize that "about seventy percent of the landmass in the world where you can't sell games in a legitimate market, because pirates will beat you to the shelves with your own game."

"Nobody knows," said Hollenshead, "but you may literally have more games being played illegitimately than being played legitimately." Hollenshead explained how this his the PC devs by explaining that retailers would rather give up their valuable shelf space to product that can't easily be downloaded elsewhere: namely console games."

Re: Piracy Killing PC Gaming, Leading Game Designer Says

I believe the lack of interesting/innovative PC games is stiffling PC game sales more than piracy... good excuse though.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It's the same excuse they use in the movie industry for why people don't go to the theaters or watch movies much anymore. It's just the same story line told again and again in reality. For example, a movie typically ends with the good guy winning, the girl getting the guy, or the guy getting the girl. We don't see any good movies anymore. Bring back the Black Comedies. For something that would seem new to people, bring to screen the musical Little Shop of Horrors without replacing the ending like they did in the 80s. Of course, this can be argued as a remake, but it would change the industry if it made it big. We need some movies where the villain wins, just to toss a curve ball into the industry.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    We need some movies where the villain wins, just to toss a curve ball into the industry.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

Actually, I don't like villians, they should always lose.

Sean Patrick Hannifin

I recently bought the DVD of "Just Like Heaven", a cute little romantic comedy. Then we watched the alternate ending in the DVD extras, which was the exact opposite of the released ending.

I love black comedy and unexpected twists, but if they'd have chosen the alternate ending I would have asked for my money back at the theater!

If it's a black comedy, it has to be black comedy all the way through... it can't start out as a romantic comedy, or a serious drama for that matter, and then switch to black comedy suddenly at the climax...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Even though I'm not a gamer, it's fascinating to me how the gaming business has created so much opportunity for orchestral composers these days. But piracy makes the game publishers less inclined to pay good money for soundtracks.

Establishing ethics concerning avoiding pirated games, and supporting the anti-piracy efforts of the game publishers and developers is certainly in the best interest of musicians, no?

What I find odd is the concept of selling "burnable" dvds or VCR tapes at a video store. Never could figure out the logic behind that even before DVD was the rave.
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    But piracy makes the game publishers less inclined to pay good money for soundtracks.
    While graphics and music and such are important in a computer game, I believe developers need to spend more time creating some innovative game design, and worrying about things like the music later... otherwise it's like having a brilliant score to a horrible film.

Of course publishers and consumers should fight piracy, because it ultimately makes game publishers less inclined to pay good money for anything having to do with computer games. But I believe game sales and PC game retail shelf space would increase dramatically were more publishers and developers willing to invest more time and effort in innovative game design instead of another basic RPG, FPS, or "(insert something here) Tycoon" with only fancier graphics (especially when some genres work much better on a console anyway).
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!
    I believe the exact quote was:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum