• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Rates and Such, Gary, How did you do it?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Sample Rates and Such, Gary, How did you do it?

I am wondering something, and I am sure I cannot be the only one, but it seems that EVERY music app I have that supports AU or VST implimentation, does not allow changing of general sample rates or the sample rates of the VSTs you are loading. They all seem dependent upon the sound card and its ablility to do so. (and for Mac users who use the built in soundcard, that is set at 44,100 Hz)

With ONE EXCEPTION.....

GPO Studio (Or Garritan Studio)

How is it possible that I am able to change the sample rate on THAT ONE APP, and not be able to on my DAW or ANY of the rest of my music apps? I don't get it.

WHY on earth would you want to change the sample rates? Because for those of us with lower power and lower ram, lowering the sample rates allow for more instruments to be loaded and played simultaneously. Some instruments do not do well below a certain sample rate (the GPO Steinway does NOT like anything lower than 32,000 Hz), but unless you lower it to below 19,200 Hz, most instruments play just fine. And it allows those who use notation software, esp, to hear everything play at once.

I am just wondering how Gary and Plogue managed to be able to pull this off, and no one else even offers it. Whatever you did, Kudos, but I wish others would follow in your footsteps.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Sample Rates and Such, Gary, How did you do it?

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    I am just wondering how Gary and Plogue managed to be able to pull this off, and no one else even offers it. Whatever you did, Kudos, but I wish others would follow in your footsteps.
    So the question is, how did we make it go below 44.1Khz? We just allow it, thats all. I never realise that much why other apps block certain samplerates.
    We just tell the soundcard : Hey use 22050Hz! And most of them accept it.

We dont know however, what each driver really does internally. Maybe they just resample to 44 or 48. its information they dont provide.

Cheers
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum