• Register
  • Help

Topic: how to use midi files?

Share/Bookmark

how to use midi files?

I don't understand how to load MIDI files of the examples without first downloading them. When I click on the midi link, a new window opens up with just just playback controls, and when I play it, it sounds (presumably) through my computers built in midi piano. Obviously, this is not what is intended. Is there any way to download the files, so I can open them in finale or any other program?

I was also wondering if there is a way to use the examples from this course with the version of GPO that comes with Finale 2006. I will probably be getting GPO studio soon, but I would like to catch up on the course in the mean time.

thanks for any help-

Sergei

Re: how to use midi files?

Quote Originally Posted by Prokofiev
    I don't understand how to load MIDI files of the examples without first downloading them. When I click on the midi link, a new window opens up with just just playback controls, and when I play it, it sounds (presumably) through my computers built in midi piano. Obviously, this is not what is intended. Is there any way to download the files, so I can open them in finale or any other program?

I was also wondering if there is a way to use the examples from this course with the version of GPO that comes with Finale 2006. I will probably be getting GPO studio soon, but I would like to catch up on the course in the mean time.

thanks for any help-

Sergei
    Sergei, while it is playing just click on your browser's "File" drop down menu and the click on the sub-menu "save page as."

Another method is instead of right clicking on the link, left click it, then choose "save link as"

Yes it works with Finale 2006, here is the way i get it into Finale, others may be able to tell you a better method.

Open Finale and then click "close" to cancel the wizard. Then with the "File drop down menu, click "open." At the bottom where it says "Files of type" click the arrow and choose "midi file (*.mid). Then use that top window to navigate to wherever you saved the midi file, then click open.

I have had trouble using this file, so I save it with a name then open a new file and use the wizard to load plenty of instrument staves, then save it with a different name. Then use mass edit to copy a full stave at a time from the mid and paste it anywhere you want in your new file. I use the score jpg as a reference to make it look like that.

Hope that helps.

David

Go Back to forum