• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Terrificaly Great GPO Marketing Idea

Share/Bookmark

A Terrificaly Great GPO Marketing Idea

Considering the success I've had with two other questions today, I thought I'd give it one more shot.

Wouldn't it be great if we could buy subsets of GPO instruments at a reasonable price?

For example, a basic saxophone family (alto, tenor, bari) subset would really be great for those of us who score for musical theatre as well as classical scores a la Ravel and beyond.

You could call it something like GPO's Sexy Saxes (just kidding), but it would help out those of who just need saxes and can't afford (and really don't need the other instruments in) JABB.

It would be the same philosophy as the Marching Band and General Midi subsets, and could even lead to further subsets like recorders, etc. A guitar family (electric and acoustic) would also be must welcomed.

So whadya think? Sound good?

DrH

Re: A Terrificaly Great GPO Marketing Idea

It may be a good idea, but it just isn't ethical. That means more work for the developers. And then there's all of the red tape apparently. Splitting a product apart doesn't mean that it will be just one product. Instead, it will be two different products and each would have to have its own set of updates and etc. So it is easier to buy the entire package. Plus, I have found the other instruments in JABB useful even when I bought it just for the drum kits and saxes.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by DrH
    You could call it something like GPO's Sexy Saxes (just kidding), but it would help out those of who just need saxes and can't afford (and really don't need the other instruments in) JABB.
    But who would model for the cover?

Good idea though

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    But who would model for the cover?

Good idea though

Gary Garritan
    I vote for Markleford. !!!

regards Joe

CJ,

Fair enough, but by not being ethical do you mean it would be immoral? Also, all of the other GPO current products (GPO, JABB, Marching, GM) are now different products, and I'm sure many of the instruments in them are taken (split away) from the full GPO. Soooo, as it now stands already, the developers will have to make sure that if a shared instrument needs to be fixed, then all of the products that contain them will have to be updated.

---------------------------

Gary,

I'd volunteer to pose, but then we'd have to call it "Scary Saxes"!

Seriously, though, is there a "please take pity on us poor, starving GPOers" price break for JABB?

DrH

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I vote for Markleford. !!!

regards Joe
    I was hoping for Joe and the camels

Immoral, yes. But I do some programming and learned the hard way about splitting software up.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Splitting a product apart doesn't mean that it will be just one product. Instead, it will be two different products and each would have to have its own set of updates and etc.
    This is actually an argument in favor of splitting up GPO. The Notation KS Trumpet has been useless for a year now. I guess they just don't bother updating the whole library for one lousy instrument. Now if the brass or the Trumpet had been sold separately, we might have had this update a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I was hoping for Joe and the camels
    Ha, ha! Joe and the sexy camel hump saxes.

But I do some programming and learned the hard way about splitting software up.
    CJ,

I agree about the dangers of busting up programming code. But the libraries are not programs. They are a collection of discreet instrument files bundled together.

For example, because Sibelius 4.1 kept its midi program-change paradigm, the full GPO library set was reassembled into a number of subsets (i.e., groupings of 128 .nki files) in order to present the complete library in "logical" orchestral arrangements.

Sooooo, all that would be required is to bundle small instrument families in the same manner. Again, I'm sure the vast majority of the new GPO GM will be assembled from existing GPO instruments, so the same approach could be taken with saxes, guitars, drumsets, keyboards, etc.

DrH

Go Back to forum