• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Microsoft Readying Apple iPod Rival:

Share/Bookmark

Microsoft Readying Apple iPod Rival:

According to Reuters:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Software giant Microsoft Corp. is laying the groundwork to compete against Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod digital entertainment device and iTunes service, sources familiar with the discussions and plans said on Friday.
    Microsoft has held licensing discussions with the music industry to create its own music service, the sources told Reuters.
    The Redmond, Washington-based developer of software that runs most of the world's PCs is also demonstrating an entertainment device that plays videos and music, the sources said.

It is unclear when Microsoft plans to launch, they said.

Microsoft's software technology has provided the copyright framework for a handful of subscription music services globally. But these services have failed to topple Apple's dominance in music and device sales, despite well financed backers including Yahoo Inc..

Apple and Microsoft were not immediately reachable for comment."

Re: Microsoft Readying Apple iPod Rival:

The MP3 player landscape is littered with failed assaults on Apple's iPod.

But there's always room for one more.

http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=320

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index...ws&NewsID=4043

http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/05/...tive/index.php

I think they could be very successful if the music selection is wide and the player is not overpriced. There are a heck of a lot of people that do not own an ipod for obvous reasons.

Whenever I use the search thingie on iTunes, it comes up empty more often than not. Not just on my request for popular foreign artists like Patricia Kaas and others, but also for some very common classical stuff. I don't know if they are not in touch with some musical tastes or if they just have not cut deals with some musicians or labels over someother issue, like pay or something. Or maybe it is just that it is still kinda new and they haven't covered all the bases yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    There are a heck of a lot of people that do not own an ipod for obvous reasons.
    What obvious reasons? They suit most consumers. Remember that most consumers are generally stupid. They don't care about things like choice and functionality. They want cool and simple.

And look how many overpriced accessories you can buy for an ipod compared to all the competition.

R.

The reason I don't own an iPod is cost... I'd love to have 60 GB of music space and a snazzy colorful display with my mp3 player, but not at $400. I don't care much about the music selection as I'd rather buy physical CDs. If Microsoft can design a media player with a good amount of space and style and somehow make it affordable, they win. I use Windows Media Player most often to play music on my computer, so if their device communicated with that and could play mp3 and wma files, they win even more.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    The reason I don't own an iPod is cost... I'd love to have 60 GB of music space and a snazzy colorful display with my mp3 player, but not at $400. I don't care much about the music selection as I'd rather buy physical CDs. If Microsoft can design a media player with a good amount of space and style and somehow make it affordable, they win. I use Windows Media Player most often to play music on my computer, so if their device communicated with that and could play mp3 and wma files, they win even more.
    Buy a iPod Nano for $150 to $250. You'll love it!

I just bought John Stewart's( America's greatest living songwriter IMHO)- The Phoenix Concerts used from a Amazon seller but I also buy from iTunes such as Cecilia Bartoli's Opera Prohibita which comes with a digital booklet about forbidden opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Software giant Microsoft Corp. is laying the groundwork to compete against Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod digital entertainment device and iTunes service
    Yet another great success announced. Exactly like... how was it called... Origami :-)

Cheers,
    Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I don't know about Microsoft's media player... I can't see it taking over the iPod. But there are some alternatives. Napster is a great subscription service. Much more flexible than iTunes store, and there are some equally good players from the likes of iRiver and Creative (that play wma files as well as mp3's - some play ogg's too). It's unfortunate that they don't have the kind of marketing clout that Apple has. The iPod has not exploded in popularity because its the best. It's exploded because Apple shouts the loudest.

If any giant has the financial support to do this, Microsoft does, but personally I think its too late and certainly Microsoft's marketing is not as strong as Apple's. iPod has become a lifestyle that would be hard to topple.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    I don't know about Microsoft's media player... I can't see it taking over the iPod. But there are some alternatives. Napster is a great subscription service. Much more flexible than iTunes store, and there are some equally good players from the likes of iRiver and Creative (that play wma files as well as mp3's - some play ogg's too). It's unfortunate that they don't have the kind of marketing clout that Apple has. The iPod has not exploded in popularity because its the best. It's exploded because Apple shouts the loudest.

If any giant has the financial support to do this, Microsoft does, but personally I think its too late and certainly Microsoft's marketing is not as strong as Apple's. iPod has become a lifestyle that would be hard to topple.

I checked out Napster and they are also selling songs for $.99 like Apple.

The song subscription market might take a big hit once HD radio (CD quality) takes off. There are several FM stations in my area transmitting HD.

It will probably kill satellite radio.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I checked out Napster and they are also selling songs for $.99 like Apple.
    Napster's greatest asset is that it has a subscription service that allows you to download and listen to as much music as you like for a fixed monthly subscription.

I pay $15cdn per month and get to download and listen to as many tracks as I like on up to three computers and download to up to two MP3 players. If I decide I no longer want to subscribe, I simply stop playing my subscription and I no longer have access to those files I downloaded. If I want to "buy" tracks, I can do that too and not be bound by the three computer, two MP3 player restriction.

I haven't bought any individual tracks because the subscription service works for the way I listen to music (it gets used a lot more in my house than my cable TV package).

R

Go Back to forum