• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Apples new "Mac Pro"

Share/Bookmark

Apples new "Mac Pro"

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

You should check out the price of the high-end version. (uprgrade CPU, RAM, HDD, etc to the highest)
    Its enormous
    I don`t know how many internal HDD`s G5 Power Macs could carry ( I think it was like 2? ),
    but the Intel Mac "Mac Pro" could carry 4 internal HDD`s,
    and thats definitely a big difference for Sample users.

Re: Apples new "Mac Pro"

Just for fun, I maxxed out the specs I'd like and the price came to somewhere around $12,000.00. Guess I'll need a few extra gigs this month...
    Tim

As much as I'd love to jump on one of these bad boys, my protools cards are PCI....so it would cost me another $8K or so just to get back to where I am now....Cool boxes tho!

Don't know if this will work, but it is much much cheaper.

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Zvenx, that Magma chassis is a couple of thousand dollars. They do make one that Digidesign approves, but I'm not sure it's that one.

In any case, anyone who's been using Pro Tools for any length of time can't possibly be the least bit taken aback. I know that Lee's been through this since the NuBus days. It's almost boring to talk about at this stage; you just know that a Pro Tools rig will be "legacy" after a few years when the next computer comes out and the cards don't work anymore. As proof, somebody from ebay now owns my MIX rig.

And I love my MBox 2. I go in and out digitally, and I don't have to give up the PT software I've been using for 12 or 13 years.

But there's a much bigger problem with the new Macs as far as I'm concerned:

Nobody on a budget ever buys memory and drives from Apple.
    True, but the RAM they're using is at least $200/GB even on the internet. So a machine with a hard drive and 8GB, which is what you should probably put in, is well over $5000 even without buying Apple's memory.

As I posted on the VSL forum, who cares how much RAM you can access at that price? Unbuffered RAM is less than half the price, so much as I hate to say it, it makes more sense to buy three of last week's machines.

Too bad, because that machine looks fantastic in every other way.

Hi Nick, seems the magma is about $700 cheaper I guess is only ONe much cheaper not two

yes I am looking at memory for them and it is expensive. BUT as more machines adopt the Woodcrest (Dell is using similar memory), the price should drop.
    But my current biggest problem is the pci-express to pci that I would have to buy to use them.
    (No I dont' use Pro Tools, I am currently a Maclover who uses a PC with Nuendo, and have been dying to come back over :-))
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx
    Hi Nick, seems the magma is about $700 cheaper I guess is only ONe much cheaper not two

yes I am looking at memory for them and it is expensive. BUT as more machines adopt the Woodcrest (Dell is using similar memory), the price should drop.
    But my current biggest problem is the pci-express to pci that I would have to buy to use them.
    (No I dont' use Pro Tools, I am currently a Maclover who uses a PC with Nuendo, and have been dying to come back over :-))
    rsp
    I don't think the price of memory is going to drop that quickly. Still a lot of the older stuff in the marketplace, and at the price of this MAC, there could a lot of folk willing to add a box or two with added ram, and/or spruce up what they already have, investing in updates rather than new kit.

The PCIe switch made a lot of stuff redundant, but i've read quite a few comments from chaps who've decided they've spent enough, and will stick with what they have for the time being.

I wonder if Apple are trying to slide gently towards graphics, and away from audio stuff? Will Logic Pro (7.something) be the last? Never to be upgrqaded to 64 bit, or seriously developed anymore? That increased ram potential merely a pipe dream?

Time will tell, but i'm unimpressed with this release. All shiny knobs and switches, fancy colours, and little else.

If i were Steinberg, given the recent buyout of Sibelius, and this less than thrilling Mac release (IMHO), i'd be pouring everything i could into upgrading to 64bit for Win, and adding a full set of network features including auto server recognition for multiple boxes. And adding a red hot, state of the art notation component.
    But then i've banged that drum before, so consider this wishful thinking.

Nice of Steve to release this info now, though. I've been sitting on a couple of long term decisions wondering what apple would come up with. Now i can concentrate all my efforts on exploring the possibilities for a networked PC/Linux?/server/ farm..........

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...+Pro&submit=Go

So it's $1400 for 8GB. Still pricey, but better than it looked yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Time will tell, but i'm unimpressed with this release. All shiny knobs and switches, fancy colours, and little else.
    Can you be more specific and less figurative?

I would like to get a better idea of what you expected and how this new model falls short.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59

Errr... right, you must have missed the little feature that you can get these with Quad 3Ghz processors!

Go Back to forum