• Register
  • Help

Topic: 7CG Play Time

Share/Bookmark

7CG Play Time

Just got a chance to fire up the 7CG piano library this past weekend on a scratch recording of the 1st piece of a long overdue project. Which has so much pedal and resonance manipulation, I wasn't sure a sample library could deal with it. It certainly does a good job of exposing the library with a wide range of tempos and dynamics. Anyway, here's the recording:

http://www.rtpress.com/mp3/7CG_Piano.mp3

As usual, its my wife Sue playing. The composition happens to be by the artist who was my wife's first non-classical influence. But oddly enough, she had no recollection of this particular piece till I brought it to her attention.

Howard

Re: 7CG Play Time

I finally got around to taking a crack at recording the above piece using my 7-foot grand. Makes for an interesting comparison. The 7CG has some obvious differences in dynamic range. And what a difference that extra 2 feet makes in some of the bass notes. I did this recording using a mid-side array at a distance of 18 inches. It consists of a u87 in figure-8 for the side with an Earthworks qtc40k mid using my Tascam fw1884 as mic pre and converter and Sonar bussing for decoding:

http://www.rtpress.com/mp3/Real_Piano1.mp3

I also laid down a 2nd pair of tracks which I'm planning on decoding tonight. On those I used a u87 omni mid with an AEA r92 side... a combo I've never tried before.

Howard

Side comment ...

When posting links to large MP3 files, have you considered adding links to M3U (Pseudo-streaming link files) instead so people can listen while downloading? Probably be easier on your bandwidth and people who just want to take a quick listen can do so without waiting.

Ernie

Thanks for the suggestion, Ernie. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I tried renaming it with an m3u extention but that didn't seem to work. Maybe because I don't have a media server. Just a plain vanilla web server. Perhaps it needs a special mime-type? It's currently using the default audio/x-mpegurl for m3u.

With an mp3 extention, however, I can pop the url into Windows Media Player and it starts playing immediately while its buffering. But you're right... if I just click on the url and let either Mozilla or Internet Explorer handle it, they want to fully download the mp3 before handing off to a player.

Sorry for the size of these things (9 megs each) but here's the other one. This one uses a U87 omni mid with an AEA R92 ribbon for the side. I positioned the ribbon so the crisp side pointed to the high end. Also, I used an external preamp this time to avoid putting phantom power on the ribbon. This recording used a True Systems P2 but I didn't use the built in ms decoder... used the daw for decoding same as before.

http://www.rtpress.com/mp3/Real_Piano2.mp3

What I'm up to with these test recordings is trying to decide how to record the piano parts for a project of tunes all by this same author. We're definitely going to model them all with the 7CG... I can't get over how good some of those bass notes sound.

I started with this particular piece because it seemed to have the broadest range of dynamics and tempos. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Howard

M3U is a text file containing the complete URL of the mp3 so, for example, it might be named real_piano2.m3u and contain the text:

http://www.rtpress.com/mp3/Real_Piano2.mp3

I put the above M3U file on my website, click below to check it out:

www.ohernie.com/real_piano.m3u

Ernie

Hey, Ernie. So that's how it works. Thanks for that. I will definitely use that approach.

Howard

Go Back to forum